Has anyone seen this blue on black Bee variant?

1 hour ago, jayc said:

In summer here, it gets too hot for shrimp. Investment in a chiller or AC the room is a must for shrimp breeding.

Cooler climates are just so much better for keeping shrimp. Chillers cost a lot more than aquarium heaters.  

Ah I suppose that makes sense also. Your winters are like our summers hehe. Not so hard to hold room temp here. Ofc it gets a zillion below but gotta heat the place anyways.

• Like 1

You take good photos and those are wonderful shrimps and what a mix, look forward t hearing how it all goes!

I have seen some galaxy, nanashi, scrpion and all sorts of others at the supplier here in UK that I got some shrimp from. They are fairly new patterns that I have only seen for a few years, what will come next I wonder.

How many tanks are you going to have to set up and run for this project? What part of USA is Three Forks?

Simon

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

You take good photos and those are wonderful shrimps and what a mix, look forward t hearing how it all goes!

I have seen some galaxy, nanashi, scrpion and all sorts of others at the supplier here in UK that I got some shrimp from. They are fairly new patterns that I have only seen for a few years, what will come next I wonder.

How many tanks are you going to have to set up and run for this project? What part of USA is Three Forks?

Simon

Thanks! Bought Pixel 4a 5gs here about a year ago to make sure to get good pictures of my son as he grows. I think they are 2nd only to iphones, and I'm meh on apple.

Yeah scorpion and dragons blood are pretty new and expensive here. I haven't seen a scorpion that wowed me yet though. Maybe in person? Shrimpenvy.com and buypetshrimp.com are some of the most boutique here atm. Shrimp envy has those caped galaxies I'm eyeballing.

Right now in my newly cycled tank(weird dimensions, I think it's a 30 long) I have 4 Matten filters so I intend to add 4 tanks and split them all in two. Was going to use 10 gallons but they've been decommissioned for years and I have more cracks than I remember so I may have to hunt some more.

I haven't done a water change in the new tank yet, getting a heap of subwassertang today so I may have to get it going or rig something. Wife had a little foot surgery so nothing's really happening other than chasing the kid about.

Three Forks is in the north west USA in Montana, just east of the Rocky Mountain continental divide. Short hot summers and cold long winters, those are the only 2 real seasons.

Despite being super cold we have a couple places around with hot springs/streams that have kept subtropical fish like mollies, swordfish and mosquitoe fish for decades. Shrimps? Hmm. Could happen. 

Ok I'm on kid duty, talk to you later.

• Like 1

It's still a minimum amount of space to meet my goals at 9 enclosures, I think I'll split the 30 long into 3 for 10 total.

Let's see, that'll give me tanks to pursue and refine:

Boas- Really would prefer 3 tanks at least: 2 tanks for crossing into my red and black lines and 1 tank pure. Kind of want to grab another lineage for another tank. 

Black & Red galaxy fishbones- 2 tanks, I'm going to cull off the pintos that don't have meritable traits.

Blue pintos

Metallic blue fancy blacks

"Chocolate/blood/sangria?" red morph

Advance nanancies

Blue bolts

And I'm already short tanks to still keep a colony. 

• Like 2

OMG just came across Shrimp Corner UK on facebook and the shrimp pics they have, oh me oh my. Galaxy tigers that are half red, half blue. 24k golden's. Metallics all around. Go go go check it out! 

• Like 1

They are the people I have brought shrimps from, though they were the older 'normal' taiwan bee type! Probably the best place in UK to get Caridina/fancy shrimps, they don't do the neocaridina, and there service has always been top notch with me, prices are pretty normal compared with others as well! I know they have won some awards also.

Here is the link should anyone want to look,

https://www.shrimpcorner.co.uk/freshwater-shrimp/

Simon

I'm so jealous lol, it looks like Germany and Asia might not have anything on the UK. I couldn't get the website to load but I'll have to try again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dsetz said:

I'm so jealous lol, it looks like Germany and Asia might not have anything on the UK. I couldn't get the website to load but I'll have to try again.

Oh I think Germany have us beat in Europe, though I haven't tried getting shrimp from there, been tempted many times though, believe me,

https://www.rendo-shrimp.de/epages/62701010.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62701010/Categories/Garnelen

They may not have all the latest varients though?

Simon

• Like 1

Ill have to dig through that on the PC.

Edited by Dsetz
Put my foot in my mouth, so I removed it.

Spouceicide more imminent every day. I think soon my internet priveliges will be cut off. She doesn't know that for every non shrimp related gripe I add 1 more shrimp ?

Jk jk. Probably. I showed her, she suggested I add something like this ?⚰️☠️

Soooo.... I decided that I need to triple real estate and do Caridinas, plants and neos. 10 Emerald Greens, 10 Red Onyx and 10 A? grade blue bolts(cuz they were cheap) incoming next week. 

Found a stupid deal on a local planted 29 with all gear and cannisters filter already holding shrimp parameters so insta-tank yay.

I got my subwassertang, like a fricking bushel of it. After cleaning most of the java fern out of the colony tank the poor new tank is jammed full of plants. Found 2 more meshes of fissiden hidden in the java jungle, the tank looks so much better now!

received_2044805229007572.thumb.jpeg.e4742545ef40b9012f9187cb7b5dc49a.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the momentum isn't slowing. I'm selling crypto left and right to support my habit and buy protection against the wife. If y'all want trading advice I'll tell you when I sell so you'll know when the market will gain a new leg ?

Ended up with a 36 gallon bowfront with fluval 304, co2 system, fluval smart light all for $40. Gotta love living near a college town. Cannister is my first, went anaerobic in transport. Appears to have re-cycled at this point. Ordered a crap load of neat and rare plants to establish a primeval scape and have future resalability. 

I'll post photos another time. Neos- Red Onyx, Green Emerald and Blue Diamonds were all beautiful shrimp. Blue bolts have nice steel-like colors. The Greens are about impossible to take a photo of that shows their beauty. Doesn't help that tank is a scratched up acrylic on the floor.

I'm going to enlarge a room in my shop for the shrimp and get most of them out of the house.

Incoming this week are 10 stardust metallic black gfb, 2 extreme blue bolt and 8 ebb culls. 

Ok bitter irony, next week we have incoming 10 Midnight Princes and 18 Clockwork Orange Tigers.

And probably also some OE orange tigers with white gene, and I haven't decided but potentially OE with white gene Blacks, Reds, or Blue. OE white gene Blue Steel are the most insane shrimp I've ever seen. I'll share in the near future. Ok, see ya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh wow, quite the collection you’re creating for yourself! Seems like you must have your setups on point if you’re so confident getting all these really expensive sounding shrimp! Looking forward to photos!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crabby said:

Oh wow, quite the collection you’re creating for yourself! Seems like you must have your setups on point if you’re so confident getting all these really expensive sounding shrimp! Looking forward to photos!

Lol hey don't point out the flaws in my approach! ? Truth, a very valid concern. 

The 36 gal is cycled and has held parameters fine so I've got a second colony tank if need be. Mucked up by back yesterday pretty good ofc which has stalled new tanks progress. The Matten filters I was bulk cycling have had 3 dozen shrimp on them so they should be good to go too.

The german shrimp were the last available atm so I'm glad I got in on them. Had him hold a week so I can get more tanks up. I will probably ask that the OE white genes be held until I for sure have extra tanks. One of the boa culls was bred in transit I believe so it's paramount I get her in a new tank.

So not to disappoint, there are more ridiculous developments, I've found a direct pipeline to Taiwans Shrimp King in BC which is not so far from me. I can walk the shrimp across the border and save a lot of time and $. Amazing boas and just about every other variety. I'm kinda tapped atm, but here later in summer I'm going to make a trip.

• Like 2

Finally got photos of my chimera! I'm trying to find another for sale for crossings. Or maybe offspring as people don't want to part with them.

received_1180642339052014.thumb.jpeg.d1defc54215e7ba7d49eb4cabdc47225.jpeg

received_1001294806942083.thumb.jpeg.fdb277b03167c20e825254a46c9644f1.jpeg

received_583450842542153.thumb.jpeg.c38e044e557bf0f003b4423f4919d177.jpeg

Here is the 36 gal, mostly planted. EBB and metallic galaxies going in here today, for now.

received_177502667565209.thumb.jpeg.53dbc3b42dfbc3beae9af0dbe6bb54d0.jpeg

First scape. Tried a bunch of rocks to no end. Lost most of the slope. I think primordial was achieved though. 20+ plants, won't go into them unless someone asks. Been hitting them with gentle light, co2 and ferts.

A ghostie just cuz.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1620399403943_6796447701555839119.thumb.jpeg.fd7def6d75328aaeafb9c18282235aa3.jpeg

Red onyx are gorgeous and gregarious shrimp.

received_468577780884516.thumb.jpeg.7a1de9e17b4b480b15137a85de1ebc45.jpeg

Still haven't got a good photo of the emeralds and I'm sure everyone knows blue diamonds.

I'll go hunt up pics of the shrimps incoming in the future so we can compare them to actual shrimps down the road. Adios

• Like 2

So I did some research on chimerism in shrimp today. It appears it is true chimerism and apparently some shrimp exhibiting are either sterile or unable to breed due to potentially mixed sex organs.

I believe I know a common origin point of chimeras, and also that I know who the dam(?) of that shrimp is and that she conferred the trait. For now mum is the word until I test my theories by inbreeding the pair and or outbreeding the chimera.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dsetz said:

Still haven't got a good photo of the emeralds and I'm sure everyone knows blue diamonds.

Doesn’t mean we don’t want to see them ?

That red onyx looks fabulous, first I’ve heard of that strain! Shows how much more range you guys have over there. 

Also the first time I’ve heard of chimerism occurring in shrimp, and it’s quite fascinating really. I’m not sure I would’ve even noticed it on that shrimp of yours, had you not pointed it out. Interested to see if you can breed it back to the mother (if he’s not sterile), or find another chimeric shrimp from somebody else to experiment with! You’ve got so much going on in your tanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Doesn’t mean we don’t want to see them ?

That red onyx looks fabulous, first I’ve heard of that strain! Shows how much more range you guys have over there. 

Also the first time I’ve heard of chimerism occurring in shrimp, and it’s quite fascinating really. I’m not sure I would’ve even noticed it on that shrimp of yours, had you not pointed it out. Interested to see if you can breed it back to the mother (if he’s not sterile), or find another chimeric shrimp from somebody else to experiment with! You’ve got so much going on in your tanks!

Oooh if you like the onyx, just wait til the Princes come! I'm working towards getting them outside and it will be easier to get a photo I think. Evidently the onyx, emeralds and blue diamonds were all bred from chocolates. 

Yeah I'm watching the tank like a hawk now too for more chimeras. I recall seeing 1 shrimp with an off tail, now it's haunting me because even in this small tank I go days without seeing a particular shrimp.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dsetz said:

Yeah I'm watching the tank like a hawk now too for more chimeras. I recall seeing 1 shrimp with an off tail, now it's haunting me because even in this small tank I go days without seeing a particular shrimp.

Haha I can totally relate, I’ve had moments where I’ve been so scared one of my berried girls died, and then I just find her chilling a couple days later, and I’m just thinking ‘where’d you go?!’

41 minutes ago, Dsetz said:

Oooh if you like the onyx, just wait til the Princes come! I'm working towards getting them outside and it will be easier to get a photo I think.

Oh cool! I’m setting up a tank with @Frosty right now that sits in a bit of sunlight in front of a window (so you can see it from both sides), hopefully the shrimp will look amazing in that light instead of an artificial one. A bit worried about the algae, but hopefully the shrimp and a scraper can take it. We’ve been inspired by you and a couple other guys on the forum to work with caridina, so we’re doing a bit of a fun mischling breeding experiment to see what we can get. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 7:02 PM, Crabby said:

Haha I can totally relate, I’ve had moments where I’ve been so scared one of my berried girls died, and then I just find her chilling a couple days later, and I’m just thinking ‘where’d you go?!’

Oh cool! I’m setting up a tank with @Frosty right now that sits in a bit of sunlight in front of a window (so you can see it from both sides), hopefully the shrimp will look amazing in that light instead of an artificial one. A bit worried about the algae, but hopefully the shrimp and a scraper can take it. We’ve been inspired by you and a couple other guys on the forum to work with caridina, so we’re doing a bit of a fun mischling breeding experiment to see what we can get. 

Ooh excited to see how that mischling breeding goes!

I have a recently molted EBB Female in this juvie colony of Princes and Clockwork Oranges so... Could be some weird mischlings here too.

I got sidetracked by my new septi-annual passion, rare houseplants. Slow progress towards a 8'x10' shrimp/plant room in the shop.

But the Midnights and Clockworks showed up today.

Lemme potato these pics and I'll get some up.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok today I come with pics.

Still super distracted buying plants, building out my shrimp/plant room and getting ready for this business season. Oh and fighting hydra. 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622218132235_6804076000907839596.thumb.jpeg.fe750c4cc90bae5b67f6d811d1c7c131.jpeg

Nearly usable, going to run 2x dimmable 600 hps and a supplemental led.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622217905172_6804075048534747653.thumb.jpeg.ddf1ef2bb8d80840595f959e8705dc06.jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622218020714_6804075533155657503.thumb.jpeg.9d420a1eea22fd62630f11d7639e1267.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622217919763_6804075109734762099.thumb.jpeg.ff7fe6ac4c43c3409dccfeddb545e981.jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622217975728_6804075344470646822.thumb.jpeg.85f7dca2395a5dc42d7049902be9cab4.jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1622217992196_6804075413543495431.thumb.jpeg.d2e582809724c6f640d9dad8f032021c.jpeg

Ok I'm getting distracted and forgot to post. Midnights and Clockworks. Gotta go buy plants and build my room. It's my birthday!

• Like 4

Beautiful shrimp. Show us more of your progress with the shrimp room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Once my spray season is over I'll update and hopefully won't disappoint lol.

• Like 1