Two tanks.

Sonnycbr

Hi, I've been keeping red cherry shrimp only since last October and had some success in my Nano Cube. I started off with ten shrimp and now have around a hundred. I got so many that I decided to get another tank a bit bigger and to keep shrimp in there as well. I transferred around 20 shrimp to the new tank after cycling and checking the water parameters. Here's the thing, the water in my Nano is now cloudy and I can't seem to clear it. I've stopped using my tap water which has a TDS of around 430 and started using RO water. Everything thrived when the TDS was really high but now I have the cloudy water issue. The shrimp in the Nano are still very active there's loads of babies whereas the shrimp in the larger tank are slow moving and fairly lethargic. I have an active substrate in both tanks.

Should I just leave well alone with the cloudy water, I've changed my filter media, and will the shrimp liven up when they settle? They've been in for around two weeks now. Thanks for any advice.

• Confused 1

The 2 cloudy water I have had is Green, which is an algae bloom so the water is probably too 'rich' due to overfeeding etc, or White, which is a bacteria bloom, and that usually only happens with a new tank that is cycling. It would be a good idea to have the old and new filter media in the tank (for 2 weeks) when you change them as the new one won't have any bacteria. 

The newer tank won't be as settled as the older one so may not have much biofim? Have you reduced the feeding in the old tank to allow for the reduction in number of shrimps? Are you using zerowater and GH/KH+?

I wouldn't worry too much if you aren't losing any shrimp, they may just take a while to get used to their new home and feel safe, they feel safer with larger numbers so it makes sense that the small tank with lots of shrimp is more active. I assume the water parameters are the same in both tanks?

Simon

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, the cloudiness is green and I think it is due to overfeeding. I have two filters in each tank, sponge and corner filters. I’ve stopped feeding the small tank for a few days as there’s loads of biofilm for the shrimp and it does appear to be clearing slowly. 
I’ll be patient and see how the tank develops. 
Thanks again,

Sonny

• Like 1