How hardy are berried neocaridina shrimp

Kelly

I recently bought 40 neo shrimp and out of the 40 shrimp one was berried. I was and (still want to) going to put them in a 8 gallon tank but it had a internal filter with huge slits where shrimp can easily get through and within hours most of mine got into that department. I sadly loss 7. So I had to move them to my smaller tank which they seem to like. Only issue it’s way too small and has no filter. Now I know there’s 1 berried shrimp in this tank:) I’m not sure if it’s the original.... but I do see a molt. Should I leave them all in this tank until shrimplets are born?  I don’t have a filter for it. Right now bare bottom, heater and Java moss and driftwood with Anubis as its only decorations.  Oh piece of almond leaf too. The other tank is now  fixed and  set up I now have a shrimp safe filter, shrimp substrate that cloud up the water although it’s slowly becoming clear. should I move all shrimp but mama to 8 gallon? 

• Like 1

There is always a risk with transferring shrimp between tanks that the mother may drop the eggs but as long as you are careful and gentle you should be ok! It would probably be easier to transfer the berried female now, before the shrimplets are born as they will be quite difficult to move when they are small, but the flip side to this is they may be vulnerable (the slots) when newly hatched! Changing water usually encourages molting, so hopefully the water between the 2 tanks is the same in parameters, otherwise drip acclimate them to be safest!

The shrimp that got into the back were probably sucked there by the pump, so it may be on too fast/high? With just shrimp in the tank it doesn't need a fast flow or much filtering.

If you want to play safe I would transfer the shrimp in batches over several days (3 x 11) just in case there turns out to be a problem and you won't lose the whole lot? 

Simon

I have moved berried shrimp dozens of times successfully.

The trick is to always keep them in water. Don't lift them out with a net without water.

What I do is get a plastic container (clean and free of oil), use my normal net to catch the shrimp, but before lifting the net, slip the plastic container under the net and lift it all up making sure the net is still in water within the container. 

• Like 2