Feeding baby Crystal Red Shrimp

herrwibi

Hi all,

Finally got my first crystal red babies and i'm just wondering what is the best way to feed them? I see them grazing on the subwassertang and the sponge filter but want to give them the best chance.

I have some glasgarten AE and Shrimp baby. what would be the best feeding routine? How often should i feed?

I have a 60L tank with maybe around 10-15 adults and so far i've seen 4 babies although the female is still berried.

Thanks.

Edited by herrwibi
  • Like 2

Congratulations, the female is probably still in the birthing process.

I use a pin to feed powdered food. I dip about  5mm into the water to wet the pin (you will need to adjust this as the population grows), then dip the pin into the powder (quickly so as to not get too much), then swish the pin in a big circle in the tank - as you have a large tank I would do this twice, once either end of the tank. As long as you don't wet too much of the pin I would do this every 2 days or so! Newborn shrimp tend to eat biofilm mainly, so I also use the bacter AE you already have, once a week (twice when there are an abundance of shrimp down the line)! The bacter AE I do as the powdered food method above, except use an old shrimp lolly stick (old matchstick would do) wet about 1cm and do that 3 times in different areas of the tank!

Simon

• Like 1

I feed my shrimplets powdered foods, that I pre-soak in a small cup of water (so the food sinks) and use a pipette/turkey baster and squirt the food into subwassertang or anywhere shrimplets tend to hide in. 

2-3 times a week. 

• Like 1