Starting a red rili from a cull

Kelly

Well I’m a new shrimp keeper. I now have 40 shrimp from a red rili cull a breeder was selling. What I’m hoping to do is let them spawn in my 8 gallon and pull out the worse to go down to my community tank to become a cleaning crew and keep breeding the best offspring.  Now the females  don’t look like rili at all they are full body red.... but I heard that  rili came from the red cherry?  The males I believe look like rili but  probably low grade.....so my question to you all besides buying high grade rili how can I improve this line?   I’m not planning to go into a breeding business this will just be a hobby for me. 

• Like 1

This be the community tank I put the culls in.  there’s danios, neons, cories and guppies but plenty of hiding places. I think they be fine....it’s probably lot better then the breeding tank but high risks for shrimplets being possibly eaten.

64D76131-4581-4783-A0A0-879069AAE038.jpeg

BA9ED0B8-E32C-4E1E-B686-24DD4B956D14.jpeg

• Like 1

It will just be a case of keeping the best ones and putting the unwanted low quality ones in the fish tank and see how it goes, it will depend on the genes the shrimp carry and that will also depend on prior generations/lieage etc!

I keep neocaridina in my tanks with fish and they are fine, though I am sure some young shrimp become food for the fish. The lower quality ones in with the fish will probably have offspring that revert back to wild type (clear or brown) so won't be so easy for the fish to see? 

Simon

• Like 1

The community tank has a nice ball of Java  for shrimp to hide and graze.... I won’t be surprised if a few shrimplets eventually grow in the tank.... although if my danios layer eggs in it  (which I be surprised if they didn’t) none so far survived...7C331FDA-9615-445C-81B9-6226A802647D.thumb.jpeg.844b1ebda0f0ec7de151622376c9658e.jpeg

• Like 1