Sign in to follow this  
Crabby

Apistogrammoides in Australia?

Crabby

Okay so this is a super random thread, but I was listening to an aquarium podcast today as I was moving my aquariums to my new house (spoiler alert: it went great!!!!) and I heard something about a South American dwarf cichlid called an apistogrammoides (pucallpaensis). Not an apistogramma, but a seperate (although similar) genus. And they only get to 3cm! This is like my dream fish, a tiny apistogramma that would probably be shrimp and nano tank safe. Would be the absolute coolest thing in my 5 gallon shrimp and blue star tank in my bedroom. Or another tank, but just sayin. But the only sign I've found that they could be in Australia was a breeder on another forum in 2006... 

Has anyone anywhere in Australia seen them, or heard of them being sold here? I mean we have a ban on koi in Victoria (unless with a license) as a noxious species, yet people still breed and sell them online, so (despite my doubts) it could be the same with the apistogrammoides (for another reason probably) and that's why I can't find any out there.

Anyways let me know.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Those look so cool, I want some? I didn't know about them but have just watched some youtube videos and other sites. As far as I can see they only appear to be  mainly in Germany (and a few surrounding countries).

I doubt they would be very shrimp(let) safe though!

I hope you get some positive feedback.

Simon

Crabby

Yeah true, nothing is really shrimplet safe. And they are probably a bit of a predatory fish. But they’re so teeny, I can’t imagine them doing any harm to an adult shrimp (whereas my 10cm male apisto definitely would).

• Like 1

jayc

I have not seen them in Australia. And I wouldn't trust it with shrimp, even if you managed to find them for sale.

• Like 1

Crabby

Okayyyyyyyy not with shrimp then, if I miraculously find some. My dreams have been crushed.

Thanks for the response jayc.

Edited by Crabby
  • Sad 1

jayc
On 3/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, Crabby said:

My dreams have been crushed.

Yeah, sorry about that.

I have a 3cm Apisto Agasizzi right now. It's fairly young, and has some growing up to do.
But it is happily chomping down on shrimp, my culls.

All apistos have relatively large mouths compared to their body size. That means they will eat things that other similarly size fish wouldn't.

• Like 1

Crabby

On 3/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, Crabby said:

My dreams have been crushed.

Sorry... this was meant to be partially sarcastic. I mean it's a bit sad but I don't really mind all too much.

36 minutes ago, jayc said:

I have a 3cm Apisto Agasizzi right now. It's fairly young, and has some growing up to do.
But it is happily chomping down on shrimp, my culls.

Yeah they're like that, with those big mouths. 

• Like 2