Aquatek Co2 Regulator/Solenoid Issue

Bodul67

I have the AQUATEK Aquarium CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid. It's on a timer to turn on & off at specific times. When the timer switches off, the solenoid sticks in the open position. I have to unplug & plug it back in multiple times before the solenoid closes. I unscrewed the solenoid from the brass regulator and found that the rubber O-Ring has been torn slightly and that's the reason the solenoid wouldn't close properly. I reached out to Aquatek about a replacement O-Ring and they replied by I need to order a new solenoid. Of course they would, they want me to pay $40 for a new solenoid rather than pay less than $1 for a new O-Ring. Horrible!!!

Has anyone had this same problem and how was it rectified? I can't seem to find the exact O-ring to replace. I found one at Lowes and it's 5/16" ID x 1/16" CS, but it's too thick. The CS is half the thickness around 1/32" that I need.

The picture below is the O-ring that I'm talking about. It's NOT a picture of the torn one that I have, it's just a reference to location of O-Ring.

Aquatek.PNG

• Like 1

You need to take a measurement of the o-ring.

Measure the OD, ID and thickness.

What you need seems to be a Buna N o-ring.

https://www.grainger.com/category/hardware/o-rings-and-o-ring-kits/o-rings

Once you have the measurement, search for a Buna N o ring of that size on Ebay.

Or buy it from Grainger if you find it there.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

The O-Ring had a little torn piece hanging off and looks like it was jamming the piston from moving. I found new O-rings which are 8mmx10mmx1mm and waiting for delivery. I also lubricated the piston with a drop of WD40 and for the past 3 days seems to be working fine now.

• Like 1

WD40 might not be the best for lubricating. 

Try a drop of lubricating oil, like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil, silicon spray, or grease instead.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.