Filter & Pump recommendations

E Blue

I was at the shrimp shop yesterday and proprietor told me my tank & shrimp kit was an inferior product. (Including the substrate). But right now I’m having problems with the pump. ? It came with a hang on back filter/pump (see pictures) the intake at the bottom was strong enough to pin a shrimp against it in between the bars and inner sponge. Shrimp died, not sure if it was the pinning or it was just weak and ended up there. To be safe I modified it with a thin layer of sponge over the intake held by a couple rubber bands. Worked well for a couple weeks. This morning it was making a gurgling coffee-pot sound, but still functional. Took off my mod, cleaned the gunk, tried to put things back together with no gaps, couldn’t get rid of gaps. So I decided to try my back-up, a little two sponge Powkoo filter and pump, that thing has no suction, and provides 10% of the circulation the native Aqueon pump did. Went back to the original set-up rubber banded a nylon stocking over the intake. Now For my questions.

1. If the tank needs better circulation, which pumps/filters, available in USA are people successfully using in shrimp tanks?

2. Do I need to worry about getting a tank spike because I’ve messed with the filters all day?

3. I’m using “a grain of rice size” amount of Bacteria AE, every other day ( in the 8 gallon tank) for the 3 babies, everyone likes it.

E710642F-8152-4D92-B82A-6DF4022A7F22.jpeg

E38690CC-5726-4248-9BB4-5F5B2FF76201.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, E Blue said:

Now For my questions.

1. If the tank needs better circulation, which pumps/filters, available in USA are people successfully using in shrimp tanks?

A lot of people just use air sponge filters. Shrimps don't produce much waste, and an air sponge filter is usually enough. But if you need more circulation, something like this is better than the HOB you have.

Image result for hang on back filters

Canister filters are even better, as it provides more space for bio media.

57 minutes ago, E Blue said:

2. Do I need to worry about getting a tank spike because I’ve messed with the filters all day?

You will have a lot of beneficial bacteria in the substrate. So don't remove it.

But I would still be cautious of an ammonia spike for the next few weeks. Take regular measurements for the next 3-4 weeks.

59 minutes ago, E Blue said:

3. I’m using “a grain of rice size” amount of Bacteria AE, every other day ( in the 8 gallon tank) for the 3 babies, everyone likes it.

Okay. Is there a question in there?

• Like 2

The filter AS IN THE PHOTO looks fine to me. If you added another cover sponge then the motor would be under extra load so that may wear the motor out faster. I don't think you need any extra cover, as per the photo is enough and I doubt the filter killed the shrimp, I expect the shrimp died and then got sucked onto the filter? Also if you added a finer sponge it will block quicker, both sponges should be rinsed in tank water weekly, the same if used as per the photo. I very much doubt the suction from the filter would be enough to catch a live shrimp and kill it?

If you do get a new filter you should just leave the sponge from this older one in the tank for a few weeks as it is covered with bacteria!  

My  tanks are similar size to yours and I use these types, 2 per tank (with the spraybar attachment), available everywhere in the world (many different makers), cheap and super easy to use,

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1826-superfish-aqua-flow-50-8715897041747.html

On the very base is a cover, I remove that so there is extra sponge surface, and then to clean the sponge you just rotate the whole unit 120 degrees on the glass and pull the sponge out! Soooo easy and quick!

These are the most popular with shrimp tanks, with an air line,

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1486-superfish-double-sponge-filter-xl-8715897249938.html

Having said that, what you have looks fine AS IN THE PHOTO (unaltered) and I would just carry on with that if it still works, but squeeze the sponge in tank water weekly to clean it!

The bacter AE sounds ok, but I would use that just twice a week!

Simon

• Like 1