What colour?

lillycopter

Hi! 

I'm completely new to shrimp keeping. I bought my shrimp as "rili blue". If that's true, then they are of a lower grade, aren't they? Some are dark blue, others seem more jelly like, some don't have a clear part at all.

One of the first offspring came out as this clear brownish shrimp.

Can somebody help me out? What is the type of these shrimp - and are there more than one? If they keep on breeding, will the blue go away and the brown come out more often? 

I hope the pictures are clear enough. Hard to photograph and hard to meet the maximum file size. 

Screenshot_20210208_150530.jpg

Screenshot_20210208_150543.jpg

Screenshot_20210208_150553.jpg

• Like 1

Those blues are a great colour in the last picture.

The clear blotchy one is probably a reversion to the wild original. Those are the ones that you should cull if you want to keep the good colour and these will keep on coming every now and again? It may be worth letting it get a bit bigger as it may go blue but to me that is a cull shrimp as it doesn't have anything of the blue rili pattern or colour. The second picture does have rili pattern (and it may colour up) so I would give that a bit longer but you need to remove cull shrimp before they are old enough to breed (approx 3 months neocaridina) otherwise  you will end up with no rili colour/pattern quite quickly!

Simon

Thank you for the quick answer! 

Would it be alright to remove just one shrimp and put him into a different tank/tub? Will he be alright there, all alone? 

• Like 1

Many people have a tank for cull/reject shrimp so that would be fine! Or if you have a fish tank you can put the culls/rejects in that!

Simon

• Thanks 1