Cosmo

Finally got some cherries

Cosmo

Let the tank cycle for 18 days and got the water parameters to where I wanted them. Added some new residents 5 days ago. Already had 2 molt!

20210202_131345.jpg

• Like 4

Crabby

So the tank has only been running for 18 days?

• Like 1

Cosmo

Sorry, missed that. 28 days.

• Like 2

Crabby

Oh that’s much better. Just keep in mind with shrimp you don’t cycle purely for the nitrogen cycle, but to increase algae, biofilm and microlife for the shrimp to eat. Generally speaking, shrimp keepers tend to cycle 2 months to account for this. 

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

Those are lovely shrimps!

Tehm being in different water probably brought the molts on, it also happens more when you change water. When you do change water make sure you drip the new water in slowly.

As crabby says, there may not be a lot of biofilm, I see you have Indian almond leaf in the tank, though I assume from the picture you didn't get too many shrimp in a small tank. If you can get some 'bacter AE' that will help with increasing the biofilm, which even if not needed at this point, will probably help when they have shrimplets so worth tracking some down if you can.

Smon

• Like 1

Cosmo

Thanks for the advice. Started with 6 in a 10 gallon tank. When you drip in for the h2o change what is your approx rate of drip. I will be using ro water.

Crabby, 

New to the shrimp world. I may have become a little impatient but seeded it on day 1 with bacteria.

• Like 2

Crabby

Yeah I wasn't bagging you for it or anything, many people make the same mistake. Just wanted to let you know, in the case that you get hooked and set another tank up in the future. 

I personally don't keep track of drops per second, but I want it to take about an hour or two for my nano tanks. So maybe 45-60 minutes for every gallon of water changed. No idea how to convert that to drips though, that's up to you, or anyone who does measure that.

By the way, I just looked at your shrimp photo again and those are some beautiful shrimp! What I can see of the tank looks great!

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

As crabby states, there is no set drops per second, the fact that you can see drops instead of a constant run of water is guidance enough! Shrimp aren't messy so usually a 10% water change would be normal every week or two so the volume you would change wouldn't be too great either?

In their natural habitat the rain will fall sometimes slow, sometimes light - so as long as your adding the water slowly with drips and you have a decent size tank and therefore volume of water, as you do, any rate of drip should be fine.

Simon

Cosmo

Crabby,

Its all good. That second tank discussion is already happening!

• Like 2

Cosmo

So, water parameters are as follows ph 7.4, TDS 180, gh 7.4 and kh 3.73. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all zero. Still working on getting PH and GH down slowly. Here's what excited me though...

large.shrimp.jpg.0555009ff185e32c3b1f8fd44f7edd1a.jpg

• Like 3

jayc

She looks huge!

And about to drop any moment.

• Like 3

sdlTBfanUK

Those parameters look good to me, don't get too fixated on exact (ideal) numbers, I would leave them as they are!

Thats a great photo of a heavily berried shrimp. I suspect she hasn't been berried long though as the eggs are full of yolk, they would normally go grey as they develop and the yok is used up and would be born clear, then red up! It is very exciting when you get some shrimplets?

Simon

• Like 1

Cosmo

Thanks Jayc and Simon. Yup, excited to see how she progresses

• Like 1