abepaniagua

Dying shrimps

jayc
10 minutes ago, abepaniagua said:

fuzzy stuff appearing on the substrate

Could be a sign the tank is cycling again.

Test for ammonia and now is the time to do more water changes.

If you have another tank/filter, add bacteria from that other tank after a couple of water changes.

• Like 1

abepaniagua
2 hours ago, jayc said:

Could be a sign the tank is cycling again.

Test for ammonia and now is the time to do more water changes.

If you have another tank/filter, add bacteria from that other tank after a couple of water changes.

Ok. I'm doing water changes, but how does that white stuff disappear? Shrimps are finally starting to act normal again.

• Like 1

jayc
3 minutes ago, abepaniagua said:

how does that white stuff disappear?

Maybe grab a picture of it, just so we don't confuse it for something else.

• Like 1

abepaniagua
5 minutes ago, jayc said:

Maybe grab a picture of it, just so we don't confuse it for something else.

Here you go:

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Great news that you haven't had any more deaths recently, hopefully that is now sorted out!

Many new tanks (mmine included) get fuzzy mould looking in them but it usually passes as the tank matures. It usually hapens more with wood in the tank and it is harmless to the inhabitants, just unsightly.  Just leave it a bit longer and see what happens!

Simon

abepaniagua

I'll give it time and continue with water changes. Today the last of the red wine Caridinas died. All three pandas are alive, and the one that had lost color is going back to normal.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

That red shrimp may just have been too weakened by the whole experience to recover. Hopefully the remaining shrimps are strong enough to survive and the tank settles down now! Just let it run for a month and the fuzz should disappear and if the remaining shrimp survive, it may then be time to try a few new shrimps.......

Simon

jayc

The pictures above certainly look like the tank is cycling again.

Have you got a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? I think I have asked a couple of times already.

We don't know if your shrimp are now dying because of residual side effects from the disease, OR ammonia poisoning.

At this stage, I'm more inclined to assume the former (ammonia poisoning) with the lack of more information.

Have you got another tank apart from this one pictured above?

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

abepaniagua

I'm sorry I thought I had answered. Ammonia levels were low but o tested today and it was really high. I've kept doing water changes every day but 20-30%. 

I just did a 40% or so. One panda died. Ammonia must be the reason. The 2nd panda is already slow and dying. I don't have another tank sadly.

Edited by abepaniagua
  • Sad 1

abepaniagua

I just grabbed a cup and added the water I normally use for the shrimps, added salvinia natans and put both pandas left in there. One is dying, the other is still active. 

• Like 1

Crabby

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. What's the exact ammonia reading?

• Like 1

abepaniagua
1 minute ago, Crabby said:

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. What's the exact ammonia reading?

Seems to be 3ppm

• Like 1

Crabby

Yeah that could definitely be killing the shrimp. Try a slow 25% water change.

• Like 2

jayc
On 2/26/2021 at 11:36 AM, abepaniagua said:

I'm sorry I thought I had answered. Ammonia levels were low but o tested today and it was really high. I've kept doing water changes every day but 20-30%. 

No worries.

And yeah, that is the problem with the most recent shrimp deaths ... ammonia.

The fuzz in the tank is a clue that the tank is cycling again.

• Like 1

abepaniagua
22 hours ago, jayc said:

No worries.

And yeah, that is the problem with the most recent shrimp deaths ... ammonia.

The fuzz in the tank is a clue that the tank is cycling again.

Well, I have no Caridinas anymore. Blue and bronze neos. I'll keep doing water changes until it goes back to normal. After that, I'll wait a month before trying Caridinas again.

• Sad 2

sdlTBfanUK

Sorry to hear that, but it will give you the chance to start afresh once the tank has fully cycled, and you have a few neos as an interest in the tank to tide you over in the interim period!

Simon

• Like 1

abepaniagua

Thank you for all the help. I believe the issue was a bacteria. Deaths have stopped so far. Shrimps are very active, they keep molting and there's still 1 berried female. I keep doing water changes until it cycles, and half the tank doesn't have the fuzzy white thing anymore. The other part does still.

spacer.png

• Like 2

abepaniagua

Also, I forgot to say and ask. Very few of my neos are 1 color. Most have a clear area where organs are, then circled by its color. Let me share a picture. 

spacer.png

This shrimp seems like it's black but head area is clear. Most of my blue neos were like that. 

spacer.png

Now this one is one of the few that grew up 1 colored, and I have no idea what freaking color it is. I didn't buy it, so I'm sure it's one of my first babies from last September/October. But parents were both blue neos, and it doesn't have a clear area where you can see organs. Is that normal?