Dying shrimps

abepaniagua

After almost 2 weeks without deaths, one died just yesterday. Blue neo started turning white inside its body...read about it too late and it seems to be muscular necrosis. Took him out of the tank before dying. No other shrimp looks to have that same problem as of now.

• Sad 2

Probably worth doing the water parameter tests to check where you are with those.

It is important to keep the parameters steady/stable with shrimp.

Sorry to hear you lost another shrimp!

Simon

• Like 1

Parameters seem to be pretty stable but I'll be adding some floaters which should help with ammonia and nitrites. 

My tank is an endless roller coaster for me...one shrimp died and yesterday two big females molted and went into hiding below the sponge filter. A few hours later, both are pregnant. I'll upload a picture later on today. I added a plant, can't remember if it's a cryptocorine or not and will be adding floaters today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well guys, thanks for your help. Just a small update. It seems that dosing the tank with oxytetracycline worked like a charm. Haven't had a single death since then, and all shrimps have grown so much! At one point I had 5 berried shrimps! Some have given birth, one molted and lost shrimps, but all good! Look at them feasting and munching! 

spacer.png

• Like 3

So pleased to hear it as been resolved and thoseshrimp look healthy and happy! Long mayit stay that way and you get lots ofbaby shrimp soon. Thanks for the update!

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello guys! I'm back. After several months of awesome breeding and seeing my shrimps grow, the last few weeks I've seen a death or two. The two caridinas I had died...so i thought it was water parameters but then some neos started dying. Nothing I could see that was telling until the last few deaths.

The shrimps are changing color. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Check the water temperature, Caridina don't like it too warm and even neocaridina don't like 30+. My Taiwan bee shrimp got the orange head when my tank overheated!

Simon

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Check the water temperature, Caridina don't like it too warm and even neocaridina don't like 30+. My Taiwan bee shrimp got the orange head when my tank overheated!

Simon

Apparently it is the water temp. It used to stay at 74-76F tops, and at night go down to 70-71F. Now it was at 81F! Wow

• Sad 2

I am assuming that 81 isn't when at its hottest! I think the caridina would struggle above 26 but die around 30, the neocaridina can tolerate a bit higher! It would also explain why the caridina died first as well! I looked yesterday and it is about 32 where you are for the next week? Is there something you can do to cool the tank!

Just remmoving the top/lid may help slightly but you will suffer more evaporation. If you have a fan that may also help! You can put water in plastic bottles and freeze them (lying down) and keep changing them as they melt, nights are probably less of a problem as it is cooler so you would only need to do it during the day and put a new bottle in when you go to bed, being plastic they will float sothat keeps the bottles away from the shrimp.

Obviously this is going to be a regular occurance where you are so you need to consider a more permanent, less manual solution? 

Hopefully you may have caught it in time for now at least without losing too many of your shrimp!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1