Dying shrimps

abepaniagua

RE: Rust or other bacterial afflictions. If a oregano flakes are curative, could they also be preventative? Would it be beneficial to shrimp health to feed a few oregano flakes occasionally. And is this fresh organic oregano or regular old  (spice cupboard) dried oregano? 

• Like 2

Its great that you have some shrimplets, fingers crossed the treatments work, you have some beautiful shrimps!

E blue - I have not tried oregano oil but we have had people on here that have with bad reults so be very cautious, and as JayC recommends apply it by soaking food in it. Any leaves you use from any plant must be organic!

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E Blue said:

a oregano flakes are curative, could they also be preventative?

Oregano oil (Carvacrol), not flakes as in leaves of oregano. The one drop of oil is a concentrate of hundreds of leaves.

But you can try to see if your shrimp will eat oregano leaves. Either dried or fresh. Oregano has very effective anti bacterial qualities. So eating even dried oregano will help the shrimps.

One thing to note is that once you have this bacteria that causes the rust disease in your tank, it's going to be there until you break down the tank and sanitise the whole thing including gravel, substrate, rocks, plants, filter, filter media, everything. There is a chance that the shrimps will catch it again. So feeding them food infused with oregano oil occasionally will help eliminate the bacteria internally.

• Like 3

So today all shrimps were alive. The momma red wine shrimp keeps hiding below a catappa leaf and move very little. I put an oil infused pellet in front of her to see if she eats some. After a 20% water change and h2o2 dose I noticed one blue neo dead. Same I feared would die yesterday. It wasn't as dark/rusted as others but I guess it couldn't take it anymore?

Anyways, hoping things would get better.

• Sad 1

Well, yesterday I had 2 casualties. First shrimp dropped dead, the second one spent the whole day  walking very very slow or not moving. Other shrimps would come by and "clean" him but I think they knew he was dying and tried to eat him or something. 

Red wine shrimps and pandas are still active. One red wine shrimp started becoming a bit darker but today seems to have reverted. The biggest red wine which I believe is a female turned to a darker red wine color and has been walking slowly since yesterday. Today after the h2o2 and feeding seems to have moved a bit more so I'm hoping she'll get better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was cautioned to make sure, no lotion, soap etc on my hands. No cleaning aerosols, especially windex. Scented candles...the list is kind of endless. If it’s in the air, the tank will almost attract it. This is probably a “no brainer” for all of you, and I don’t mean to state the obvious, but the scented candles made me stop and think.

• Like 1

That's why I like lids on tanks. It stops chemical aerosols, dust, bacteria, etc falling into the tank.

• Like 2

No casualties yesterday. Today, shrimps seem more active but I don't see any improvement in color. One small red wine shrimp is acting weird. Moves fine, then "drops dead" while still eating and moving legs. 

Today I'm getting levamisole HCL. Taking out the snail since it has not liked the h2o2 doses I believe. 

PXL_20210209_123215514.thumb.jpg.1011cbc4916dbcd31599fd08e41a56bb.jpg

• Sad 1

I also found 3-4 molts yesterday...so I'm the midst of all this, there are shrimps molting. After I wrote the last post, the shrimp apparently died and has a white hue like below the shell...it fits the description of bacterial infection. Now I'm not sure if I should dose both levamisole and Oxytetracycline.

PXL_20210209_125618799.thumb.jpg.9bc82ea8129b87bb4fd4c1efb957a28b.jpg

• Like 1

Keep at it!

I can't comment on using those medications at the same time, but JayC will be your best bet on this and  he will be on later.

Simon

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Keep at it!

I can't comment on using those medications at the same time, but JayC will be your best bet on this and  he will be on later.

Simon

Ty ty. I'm gonna do:

"Dose the required amount on first day. Then 50% water change on 2nd day and dose again. Then 30-40% water changes for the next 2 days and then did another full dose and left it. Waited 2 days and another 30% water change."

1000mg per 40 litres. I got 22 litres give or take, so I'll do 500mg.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abepaniagua said:

Now I'm not sure if I should dose both levamisole and Oxytetracycline.

Please dose only one at a time. And give the tank a few days and water changes in between each treatment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jayc said:

Please dose only one at a time. And give the tank a few days and water changes in between each treatment.

I'll start with Oxytetracycline. 2.5ml which is 500mg. Tomorrow, 50% water change then another dosis. 

• Like 2

So no casualties from Tuesday to Wednesday. Tuesday was first dose, Wednesday I did a 50% water change then second dose. Shrimps seem to be more active. The red wine that went darker in color isn't that sluggish. 

I say "no casualties" but I can't find 1 red wine. I should have 4, but I can only see 3. There are a few places to hide but still weird. I have not seen corpses, only molts. Several molts this week.

Anyways, I can see 2 mommas and baby shrimps. It saddens me to see beautiful colored shrimps darker in color...they used to be dark blues and bright reds...hopefully this treatment will work out.

Edited by abepaniagua
  • Sad 2

Continue the dose at half strength for 5 days. With water changes in between.

Do not take shortcuts on this, or you risk some bacteria surviving and becoming resistant to tetracycline. Then you will be in bigger strife.

Do a gravel vac for your next water change. This encourages the oxytetracycline to get into places it can't normally reach.

Keep a very close eye on your ammonia levels, as tetracycline will affect beneficial bacteria as well as pathogenic bacteria.

Do you have another tank that you can use old filter media to re-seed this tank under treatment?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jayc said:

Continue the dose at half strength for 5 days. With water changes in between.

Do not take shortcuts on this, or you risk some bacteria surviving and becoming resistant to tetracycline. Then you will be in bigger strife.

Do a gravel vac for your next water change. This encourages the oxytetracycline to get into places it can't normally reach.

Keep a very close eye on your ammonia levels, as tetracycline will affect beneficial bacteria as well as pathogenic bacteria.

Do you have another tank that you can use old filter media to re-seed this tank under treatment?

Thank you! I do not have an old filter media. The one I have is being used by some fish I got in another small tank.

I will start half dosage today then. Instead of 500mg, 250mg. I'll do water changes every day. Let's hope this work out.

• Like 1

No casualties today. Water change + 50% dose. They are more active and no one seems sluggish. 

• Like 2

Here’s puctures of the shrimp with the white thing on his rostrum.

14DB92D7-EC05-4858-8D57-39E95D5ACDF3.jpeg

76841CBA-E293-403A-9C33-52C5F3D8B430.jpeg

Edited by E Blue
  • Like 1

That shrimp has it's own flashlight!

Never seen that before.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Well done for trying to get the photo but I can't really make out what it is either, unfortunately!

Hope the treatment is going well and you have stopped the deaths?

Simon

On 2/12/2021 at 4:26 AM, jayc said:

Great news.

Have you checked ammonia/nitrite levels lately?

I did check it. 0ppm after a few hours of each water change. Nitrite goes from 0 to 0.5ppm. No casualties yesterday either. 50% dose and 30% water change or so.

I had shrimps inside a breeding "cage" inside the aquarium, basically culls from my blue neos...they breed brown and bronce colors a lot. But since I'm in a crisis, I don't care about that right now. I just want them all to be happy and roam around freely.

• Like 1

No deaths today either. Shrimps have definitely become very active. I don't see any returning to normal colors but they seem to be moving around a lot. 2 mommas have birth, only 1 still berried. Sooooo, you can imagine that the tank is full of miniature neos.

• Like 3

First day today after starting treatment that I see a loss. One of my red wine Caridinas dropped dead. Wasn't acting weird, wasn't sluggish or passive. Found it upside-down without moving or anything. I'll do another water change today and will do a full doses.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Stopped treatment and so far I haven't seen any new deaths. Only weird thing happening now is white fuzzy stuff appearing on the substrate. I don't know if it's because of the medicine I used it because I took the snails out...

• Like 1