Welcome abepaniagua

abepaniagua

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes abepaniagua.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

View Member

regards,
skfadmin

Hey guys! I'm from the Caribbean. Started getting interested in aquariums almost a year ago. VERY interested in shrimp keeping and breeding but so hard when normal temps are all above 78+!  But trying nevertheless! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

What sort of setup do you have? Do you have air conditioning where you live, otherwise you may need some form of cooling setup, especially with the caridina type shrimp (over 78 risky with them)? What source of waer do you use? How many tanks do you have?

Hopefully we will hear more of your experiences and setups and you will enjoy the forum!

Simon

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Welcome to the forum!

What sort of setup do you have? Do you have air conditioning where you live, otherwise you may need some form of cooling setup, especially with the caridina type shrimp (over 78 risky with them)? What source of waer do you use? How many tanks do you have?

Hopefully we will hear more of your experiences and setups and you will enjoy the forum!

Simon

The tank is 16x9x10, so around 6 gallons or 23 litres. It was placed in the house if my parents and got no sunlight or heat so the water temperature was always around 72-73F. I am moving it to my bedroom in which runs the AC for 12 hours. I've tested with glass containers and the temperature of the water moves around 68-72F.

I live in a condo building so water comes from a water tank that feeds directly from the city. It is pretreated but not drinkable and the building add chlorine to the tank. Nevertheless, I bought a 3-step filter which removed harmful bacteria and chlorine but leave the minerals so it's a bit "hard" in that sense. 

I'll upload a picture of the tank later on today.

• Like 1

If you have air conditioning where you are planning to keep the tank you will likely be ok without any additiional cooling, as long as it isn't near a window/direct sunlight?

I wouldn't have thought the problem originates from  the water but it is a possibility. Caridina shrimp usually need RO water remineralised with the shrimp specific products. If your filter system doesn't create RO (tds 000) you don't know what is left in that water? What is the 3 step filter you are currentlly using? Also, if your source water isn' safe to drink I wouldn't think it can be safe/good for shrimp either?

Simon

2 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

If you have air conditioning where you are planning to keep the tank you will likely be ok without any additiional cooling, as long as it isn't near a window/direct sunlight?

I wouldn't have thought the problem originates from  the water but it is a possibility. Caridina shrimp usually need RO water remineralised with the shrimp specific products. If your filter system doesn't create RO (tds 000) you don't know what is left in that water? What is the 3 step filter you are currentlly using? Also, if your source water isn' safe to drink I wouldn't think it can be safe/good for shrimp either?

Simon

It will not be receiving sunlight. Thankfully I was able to put it on a side.

About the water I'm sorry, I first started using the filter which had a TDS of 150-200 I believe. The water becomes drinkable after going through the filter and works like this (basically)

Stage 1 — Filter options include: string or pleated, 5-micron prefilter to reduce dirt, rust and sediment.

Stage 2 — ULTRA-D, PAC/Agion submicron filter to reduce viruses, bacteria, cysts, chlorine, heavy metals and VOCs.

Stage 3 — Carbon filter options include: GAC, pleated, wraps or radial flow to reduce chlorine, bad taste/ odor, VOCs and inorganics.

But since my shrimps were dying I changed to "botellones" which is a 5 gallon container that is sold from water companies which is filtered water with RO then mineralized. That one is softer but has a TDS of 100 I think. I will double-check all parameters today. 

• Like 1