Shrimp and fish coexisting

gazman

I'm probably going against all of the rules but I have a growing colony of cherry shrimp in my densely planed amazon biotope aquarium. I have only recently come back into the hobby after quite a few years of keeping reef aquariums where mixed tanks of fish and inverts were the norm, and of course large shrimp were often part of those set ups. Anyway, after setting up this new aquarium where I have a large school of cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras and assorted catfish I thought I would give the cherry shrimp a go. I started with about a dozen and given their small size I wasn't too confident about their survival. To my surprise after about 4 months I reckon there are about 60 to 80 shrimp, adults and small juveniles. At feeding time they file out one after the other and swarm over the algae pellets, always wary of the fish but not to the point where I have seen any taken by the fish. Outside of feeding time they tend to congregate amongst the plants.

Has anyone else had experience mixing fish with shrimp?

I have a pond with guppys and platys breeding like rabbits. Also breeding like rabbits are my red cherry culls! As long as there is ample hiding there shouldn't be a problem with most tropical fish. Unless there worth serious money, then the shrimp get there own tank lol

Great work gazman. Are you able to post a pic ? Would be great to see. Having a densely plant tanks, or at least at ground level, where the shrimps can hide..., would be ok, as cherries a prolific breeders. Plus well fed fishes would also help with the balance.

I had originally considered this, and was looking to userasboras, but decided against it, as I started with CRS, as 3-4 years ago, A Grades were $35+ each....

I have my RCS with peppermint bristlenoses and they seem to do better in there than in the tank I set up specifically for them. Maybe there is extra food?

I think with almost any fish though you should expect some shrimp losses, particularly juveniles. Having plenty of cover (like it sounds that you have) seems to be the secret of maintaining a healthy population with fish.

I've got a 4 footer with red cherrys all over the tank coexisting with guppies.

Half the tank is densely planted with long Vals.

The shrimps are amongst those during the day but come out at night in their droves

I only keep Bristlenose Catfish but all tanks have Cherries in with them, I think they go together very well.

+1 on the food thing, there is always scraps and faeces left around for the shrimp to graze on.

Yeah have had shrimps with fish. Depends on the fish really but catfish are not a problem unless they are carnivorous. Guppies I had a problem with but I guess I didn't have enough cover either

I've got bn and neon tetras with my red cherries and don't notice any complications red cherries would be approaching there thousands lol neons swim at all levels of tank also but for me that's as far as ill take with coloured shrimp but with my glass qld chameleon and macro shrimp I hear guppies these are all feeders for my Frontosa's though its heavily planted and plenty of hidey holes in the log as well and yeah all shrimp breed well

I have heaps of cherries living successfully in my planted tank. Numbers keep growing so they are definitely doing ok. The are in there with Pearl gouramis, harlequin rasboras, celebes rainbowfish, rosy tetra, bristlenose catfish, corydoras, and Kuhlii loaches. They also survived with my German ram, but she died recently.