Sign in to follow this  
Gingerfrost

breeding for stripe legs?

Gingerfrost

So if you breed the more transparent cherry shrimps it'll become wild type. Is it at least a slight bit if chance to keep the stripe legs but keep the grade to go up? 

I really do enjoy watching the shrimp with the stripe legs swim around. I think it's actually the most active preferring to ride the water currents.

Either way the leg stripes are pretty, anyway to keep them without going wild?

• Like 2

jayc

One way of guaranteeing traits in the offspring is to separate and breed parents with the same trait you are looking for.

If you let the shrimps just go free for all ... that is what you will get - free for all looking shrimp.

This is one way of getting MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome), where new tanks suddenly appear out of thin air. You go from one tank to several without knowing what happened.

• Like 2

Gingerfrost

So it is possible if you have different parents? Okay, nice to thing to consider.

As for the multitank syndrome uhh... I live in a small tiny tiny tiny apartment and unfortunately already kinda have it? Because I have no room to set up tanks, I just keep collecting free old 30gal tanks and stacking them up... (Did end up passing up a free 90 gal....I cried that day) .

Anyway, It's kinda a life saver I have no room to setup actual tanks, hoping the syndrome will pass. Till then looking forward to my on growing moss and plants. 

I do have 2 glass jars with tiny setups though, but no shrimps in either. (Minus scubs breeding in one)

Edited by Gingerfrost
  • Like 2

jayc
7 hours ago, Gingerfrost said:

So it is possible if you have different parents?

Possibly, but chances are low, unless the species of shrimp you have has striped legs as a common trait.

What sort of shrimp are you referring to? And do they normally have striped legs?

They shrimp will always want to revert to it's natural form and colour. So keep this in mind when you breed shrimp, and you want to keep certain traits. If you let a shrimp that does not normally have striped legs breed with a shrimp that has striped legs, it's offspring will more than likely favour the natural form.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2