• Similar Content

• Chels
      By Chels
      Hello all! I've only been keeping shrimp for a few weeks now, but I am already an overfeeding expert.
      Apparently in my zeal to give my shrimp the best life, I have grown a giant colony of copepods which I am worried may harm my first ever newborn shrimplets (which could hatch at any time). I've read that copepods are opportunists who will eat weaker shrimplets if given the chance. And with the amount I have in my tank rn, I foresee my first newborn babies hatching & being instantly swarmed. I also have 3 or so saddled females, soon to be berried females so I want to protect their future babies also. 
      I cannot for the life of me find any recommendations on freshwater fish who won't eat shrimplets. The recommendations are always with the caveat of "but I have total ground cover/top cover so most of my shrimplets survive." I have a ton of plants & hidey holes, but I also have some grazing areas where it's just a small patch of substrate since my shrimp love to be fed in those areas. I just started with 15 shrimp, so I don't have a huge colony and can't afford for any babies to be eaten rn. 
      I do have an albino bristlenose pleco who is very tiny, but she is a lazy betch and hasn't impacted the copepod population. I should also note I am using a 2g nanotank at the moment. It's a mixed tank with cherries, yellows & blue rilli so I can get a lot of different offspring to separate out and form colonies from in bigger 30g tanks. 
      Here are the fish I have heard work great, but may eat *some* shrimplets:
      Endlers (males or fry)
      Ruby tetras
      Rasboras
      Pygmy corys
      Rocket killifish (clownfish)
      Hatchetfish 
      Otocinclus
      Ember tetras
      Neon green tetras
      Gold ring danios
      Lowlight danios
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey all.
      So, I'm getting some cory cats in the near future, and I want to know if I need to quarantine them. I know a guy at my lfs really well, and I trust the store, so I might be able to get them to hold and quarantine them for me for a week. I'd prefer to just add them straight to the tank if it's possible though. If not, then I can sort a qt tank soon.
      Thanks in advance
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      So pleased to hear it as been resolved and thoseshrimp look healthy and happy! Long mayit stay that way and you get lots ofbaby shrimp soon. Thanks for the update! Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That all sounds great. If you are worried about water changes, there probably is no need, in a tank of that size with so few shrimps, and being newly set up, it will be fine to just leave the water changes for a while anyway! Hopefully you will soon have shrimplets to watch in the tank in lockdown! Simon
    • jayc
      That was a popetpop aquarium air bio filter. It goes by many names. If you search for "aquarium air bio filter" you will find it. https://www.amazon.com/Mironey-Driven-Filter-Sponge-Aquarium/dp/B08F7HF4LY/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+air+bio+filter&qid=1618815113&sr=8-8 OR https://www.amazon.com/JZHBEI-Driven-Filter-Aquarium-Breeding/dp/B08NGN4XW6/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+air+bio+filter&qid=1618815113&sr=8-13   However, these are not very efficient compared to the double filters like these ...  https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Aquarium-Sponges-Submersible-Salt-Water/dp/B07RFL4JMM/ref=pd_di_sccai_3?pd_rd_w=GdZGR&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=EPWQB6HAJ2415WQB0JW9&pd_rd_r=53d5601e-2d0e-479b-925f-785187769910&pd_rd_wg=rbF6X&pd_rd_i=B07RFL4JMM&psc=1
    • stillc
      What filter is it? It seems that the link doesn't work. Is it Polar Aurora? 
    • abepaniagua
      Well guys, thanks for your help. Just a small update. It seems that dosing the tank with oxytetracycline worked like a charm. Haven't had a single death since then, and all shrimps have grown so much! At one point I had 5 berried shrimps! Some have given birth, one molted and lost shrimps, but all good! Look at them feasting and munching!