keeping riffle shrimp with cherry shrimp???

guppyluv

hi everyone it's probably a stupid question :stupid: but can i keep my riffle shrimp with my cherry shrimp? i need to condense my tanks just wondering if this was an option. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I was told no .they would interbreed .rilli are a type of cherry shrimp

i don't have rilli shrimp they are riffle shrimp an Australian native shrimp.

They wont inter breed at all. Riffles are a BIG shrimp and will eat young Cherries and Cherries will eat young Riffles because Riffles have very small young. Riffles are fairly easy to breed, but best advice on breeding any thing SUCESSFULLY is keep it on its own. You will get some say they breed a couple of species together, they are the exception, best practise is 1 species pr tank for breeding, it is a lot less headaches and you get more young.

Bob

• Like 1

Good to hear and good luck, the Riffles are a chalange but well worth it, they do predate there young so lots of small shelters for them and mulm in the tank helps the survival rate big time.

Bob

thanks heaps guys, alot of that would explain why i haven't seen babies yet, will let you know how i go.

Yep my BAD Ben, New hatch brine shrimp work a treat on the parent Riffles. Or even frozen if you can keep it in suspension with out it going down the filter.

It was not that long ago every one was saying, you can not breed Riffles they need salt water? Why were they saying this?

Because every one was reading the info form the Bamboo shrimp put up by people from OS and they are a different shrimp all together to our Riffles.

Bob

Once again you are spot on Bob. I had the same trouble when first keeping riffles, all the info I got was actually for bamboos and holds almost no relevance for riffles. Easy trap for young players.