New to Shrimps

Billzolo

Hi there! My name is Zolo, i am originaly from Greece but i live in England for the past 5 years! 

Only recently i became a proud shrimps owner and i couldn’t be happier! 

Although as a total noob i have no idea about the sex of my shrimpos ?

At the moment i got 1 vampire shrimp, 3 cherry shrimps, 2 amano shrimps, 3 blue shrimps and a yellow one! 

I wish i could upload them but the total size says 0.98MB. Sorry i don’t use nokia to take pictures ???

• Like 1

Hey Zolo! 

If you want to upload some photos, you can try uploading to the gallery. There isn't a size limit on photos added to the gallery, as far as I am aware. Or, if you like the information you see here, you could sign up for a platinum membership to help out the forum - that way you have a higher upload limit, along with a few other great features.

In terms of trying to work it out yourself, you can tell the sex of a neocaridina (the cherry shrimp, and the yellow and blues) shrimp with q a couple different signs.

Shrimp are sexually dimorphic, so you can tell the difference between males and females simply by looking at their colour and body shape. Females are larger, and can be more colourful, but it isn't a surefire way to tell, as you can get some males with amazing colour as well. Females do have a thicker (and deeper, essentially) abdomen, as that is where they carry their eggs. Males are thinner in this area. 

You could get lucky, though, and get some females that are already holding eggs. Female shrimp hold their eggs in two places - one for when the eggs are infertile, and another place once the eggs are fertilised. The infertile eggs are held on the top of the shrimp's 'neck', and if you see that, it's called a saddle. A saddle will usually be a yellow or white colour. Fertile eggs are held in the 'stomach', and the female shrimp will juggle them around to keep them from developing fungus. 

Hopefully that helps. I don't have any experience with sexing vampire or amano shrimp, unfortunately.

• Like 1