Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix

What did I buy?

Phoenix

Hi, Im new to shrimp keeping and I just bought some without my glasses on 😂 

Can anyone tell me what it is I got.. I'm not saying what they were shown as!!

IMG_20201215_121007.jpg

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Hello fellow UK!

I would say it is almost certainly neocaridina (cherry) and quite pretty. If it is just purchased the colour may improve over the next week! I imagine it is a red or orange cherry shrimp? They can be a bit blotchy like the head of the picture, but the tail looks redder?? Did you just get the one or do you have otheers and do they look similar? It is very unusual but it may change a bit if it is very new?

Simon

• Like 1

jayc

My guess is a cherry shrimp as well.

• Like 2

Phoenix

Haha, they are supposed to be orange Sakura, the pics are two different shrimp, the others are still somewhere in the undergrowth 🙂

i agree that they are pretty, I've ordered some more as it's my first journey into shrimp keeping, but they seem happy 

I will post more pics as they get braver 😍

• Like 1

Phoenix

IMG_20201213_214109__01__01__01.jpg

IMG_20201215_121235__01__01.jpg

IMG_20201213_215023__02.jpg

• Like 1

jayc
13 hours ago, Phoenix said:

they are supposed to be orange Sakura

Sakura is just a colour variation of a cherry chrimp.

When we say "cherry" shrimp we mean Neocaridina.

And yes, the pictures you posted looks like an Orange sakura cherry shrimp (Neocaridina). Albeit of a lower quality.

Hopefully with some care, good food and love it will improve in colouration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Chels
      Thank you Simon!! L Bretz does ship to the lower USA so that's exciting. He has a ton of neos! I may add another blue velvet or 2. Aquahun's website is currently down so I wasn't able to check them out. Hope they're doing ok. Flip Aquatics by far has the best caridina selection.  We definitely keep the AC running, and always keep it about 68-70 room temp so that shouldn't be a problem. Right now here in the mountains it's in the 30s or less (we may get snow this week) but I haven't had to use the heater I bought. It's just an expensive algae collector at this point.  Just in case anyone else is looking, here are other breeders who ship in/to the US that I found: The Shrimp Farm Planet Inverts Elite Inverts AZ Gardens Lucky Aquatics Shrimp Envy Joe's Shrimp Shack  Shrimpery & Aquatics  So Shrimp
    • Chels
      Thank you so much, Simon!! I think I just spotted the 5th and newly hatched teeny tiny Malaysian Trumpet Snail in my tank this week. They are a Godsend honestly, because they dive down into the substrate and get every little piece of food, and there is plenty for them even after suctioning the substrate.  I had to start feeding every other day based on the frenzy, I think they have consumed most of the biofilm. My filter sponge was thick with algae and it looks nearly brand new. I have a ton of food and botanicals coming next week, til then it will have to be a tricky dance on the line of overfeeding.  I believe any freshwater shrimp would be a good meal for Tortuga the turtle. I've been able to give him fresh plants (except duckweed, I'm just not going there as I read it's a plague), fresh fish, fresh mealworms, and shrimp are really the only fresh food missing. I'll wait until I have over 20 to add to his tank, so hopefully he won't eat them all and they can propagate. I have mollies and platys in their now, the guppies never last long enough to breed. And a bn pleco but it's just a baby so it won't be eaten. Those little suckers move fast when they're babies!! I really shot myself in the foot though, since I now have a 10g and am looking at galaxy pintos. I am head over heels for shrimp!! It's super addictive. I will be asking a ton of questions the next couple months while that tank cycles. Sorry in advance. 😁
    • piste
      I can only speak to the short moves i have done...which I think would apply to anything up to a day's travel.  I just drained the tanks down to about 20% of capacity....more if needed to lower the weight so I could carry them....then just unhook...move...hook back up at destination and that's about it.  I mean it all depends on specifics....so long as them temps are allowed to stay in what a human would typically be comfortable at....good to go.   Good luck!  Oh...and just try and minimize agitation of the tank and water as much as possible when carrying.
    • Crabby
      Yeah I think betta mating, however beautiful, always ends of with some aggression and damaged fins.   That's so cute! I'll have to try peas. We have some growing in the garden, so there isn't the worry about it having pesticides or anything.    Thankyou! He just arrived today, looking splendid. I'll send some photos when he's settled in. Just double checking right now that I've got similar parameters to the ones jayc recommended to you. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      We get that a lot thaat snails are introduced with plants, they may have been eggs on the plant etc. Still, snails aren't a bad thing ad as long as you keep on top of the numbers they are another dimension to an aquarium. The majority of snails need a saltwater/brackish stage for reproduction so depending on what the black one is you may never get babies with that one, this means they never become a problem but you need to restock every now and again! I use assassin snails which are much slower at reproducing than the Malaysian Trumpet snails but occassionally I have to give some away to friends. Overfeeding is such a common problem. Really, shrimp feeding is a top up and treat as the shrimp eat biofilm most of the day, though obviously there needs to be enough biofilm in the tank to sustain the shrimp and with 15 shrimps in a 2g tank they will need some extra food over the biofilm probably! It sounds as though you are doing everything right! Keep it up! When you get boring/wild type shrimps they will make a nice treat for your turtle? Simon