Dry Start Method - 911 fungus/mold?

Merlin

Hello - 

I started to perform a DSM on a 45gl tank.  Today marks 1-week in.

I have plastic wrapped the top leaving the corner open slightly. x2-3 Daily I open the the plastic so I can mist everywhere.  The light is on ~12hrs a day

Today I noticed some sort of growth that, well, has me freaking out. You can see in the pics some white spots on the wood hardscape and some spider web like growth.

I'm not sure what direction to take this and get it under control (whatever it is) I could remove the wood and give it a boil.  I will put something in to measure humidity but I anticipate is has got to be very high.

Since I am only one week in flooding seems premature but maybe should be considered ??  I am hopeful I have caught this early enough to stop it from becoming a nightmare 

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank-you

Cheers,
Merlin

aqu_1.jpg

aqu_2.jpg

aqu_3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merlin said:

I noticed some sort of growth that, well, has me freaking out.

This fungus growth on driftwood is normal in new tanks. Nothing to freak out about.

You can physically remove any visible growth by hand. But once you flood the tank, and add some inhabitants, it will eventually go away.

No need to remove the driftwood if it will disturb the hardscape.

• Like 1

I have had this on most newly set up aquariums, but haven't ever tried the dry start method!

It has always disappeared as the tank settles but as JayC says you can remove any that is easy to remove like the long stringy bits!

Simon 

Thank-you very much for the assistance.  A lot of people indicated mold would be a major problem so I got a little excited.

Will continue to monitor and hand clean as needed.

Cheers,
~M

• Like 1