Cross breed?

04_lariat_ben

To start I am fairly new to shrimp keeping, i have red cherry shimp, mixed with black, brown, yellow, green and blue neocaridina shrimp. I have noticed a while back that i had a yellow shrimp pregnant and waited the time for the eggs to hatch. After a while she came out of hiding with no eggs under her abdomen so i was geussing they had hatched. A little while later i noticed a small baby shrimp almost colorless. Its been a few weeks since and now this green and yellow (camouflage) looking shrimp appearing everywhere. My question is would a yellow and green shrimp breed to make this camo effect? Or is it a green shrimp changing color?

20201130_213313.jpg

• Like 1

Is this shrimp pictured above smaller than the adults? I'm trying to determine if this might have been one of the new offspring of that Yellow mama.

It is also not out of the question for Yellow and Green shrimp to change colour. The genetics for yellow and green are the weakest out of the Neocaridina colours.

If I had to take a guess, with the limited information, I would say that was a Yellow shrimp reverting to a wild morph giving it more brown/green colour.

<Edit> - unless it definitely was an offspring of a Green/Yellow shrimp mix.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Is this shrimp pictured above smaller than the adults? I'm trying to determine if this might have been one of the new offspring of that Yellow mama.

It is also not out of the question for Yellow and Green shrimp to change colour. The genetics for yellow and green are the weakest out of the Neocaridina colours.

If I had to take a guess, with the limited information, I would say that was a Yellow shrimp reverting to a wild morph giving it more brown/green colour.

<Edit> - unless it definitely was an offspring of a Green/Yellow shrimp mix.

Yes the "camo" shirmp as ive been calling it is about 1/3 of the size of the yellow shrimp the other green shrimp which where all males where about 1/2 the size of the yellow shrimp. Thats why im leaning toward this being the offspring of the yellow and green and being a pure hybrid of the two. Who knows tho. The color morph theory is convincing as well but the size of this shrimp makes me wanna believe its a hybrid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 04_lariat_ben said:

is about 1/3 of the size of the yellow shrimp

In that case, I would be inclined to think that this is an offspring of the Yellow/Green you have in the tank.

Congrats. You have created a new colour morph.

• Like 2

That is a beautiful shrimp!

Mixing different colours as you are will mean you will get offspring reverting to wild (brown or clear usually) quite quickly.

Simon