Here we go again

Able

5 hours ago, Able said:

Lost 2 more

Sorry to hear 2 more were lost. Hopefully that will be the last one lost. How many more shrimps do you have in the tank?

Nitrate is still moderate to high even after that 25% water change, so that means a lot of ammonia has been converted. 

You might want to do another smaller water change soon. Maybe 10-15%.

• Like 1

I really hope that the tank settles down and the remaining shrimp survive!

I had a very similar experince with my caridina tank earlier this year so I know your frustration. I never got to the bottom of what caused my problem, but in order to maintain my sanity put it down to the diferent substrate. All the parameters are, and always have been ideal and I have tried shrimps in  3 batches all with no success? The whole tank/plants looks very unhealthy, but for now I have fish in the tank and they are doing great. I should probably redo the tank completely with all new substrate etc but am having a break until the fish die off. I will revert to the substrate I used before next time. The only other possible problems that MAY have caused this would have occured due to poisoning, aerosol, dirty hands with cleaning agents or something like that, but I think they are quite unlikely in reality and I've not had a similar problem before in any aquarium? Caridina shrimp are super sensitive and fragile!  

I really hope you managre to sort your problem out before you lose all the remaining shrimp!

Simon 

• Like 1

2 more deaths both crs 

Came home today exact same params so I took 2 sponges from my successful neo tank and squeezed them into the problem cardinia tank and hope this helps...

Picture is from neo tank

D7A13E12-CA9C-4D03-86AD-C80682CAE100.jpeg

The water is stirred up from removing the sponges. It’s usually crystal clear

This is my successful other cardinia tank . Always stable 

BA042C81-9D0E-4641-B671-F66ADFA903EA.jpeg

• Like 1

I never use heaters but it’s getting cold here in New York and these smaller tanks are on a ledge in front of a window so temps were dropping to 68 so I added a heatah 

• Like 1

Really pleased to see you have another caridina shrimp tank. Should all fail in the other tank it would be worth redoing that tank (thoroughly clean it and don't reuse anything, that was in that tank before (equipment should be thoroughly cleaned as well), to be sure/safe) and trying again as you will hopefully have lots of spare shrimps from your good tank that you can transfer when the newly reset tank is ready. Bare in mind that it is quite common (I experienced it, even using a heater) that caridina shrimp slow/stop breeding in winter so don't panic if you don't see any/many new caridina shrimplets until next spring?  Neocaridina don't seem to stop breeding any time of the year!

Simon

I wonder if it could we something we can't test for such as a bacteria or a virus. Any chance some kind of pathogen could have gotten into your system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeBeveridge said:

I wonder if it could we something we can't test for such as a bacteria or a virus. Any chance some kind of pathogen could have gotten into your system?

Not sure how it’s an all new set up.

3 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Really pleased to see you have another caridina shrimp tank. Should all fail in the other tank it would be worth redoing that tank (thoroughly clean it and don't reuse anything, that was in that tank before (equipment should be thoroughly cleaned as well), to be sure/safe) and trying again as you will hopefully have lots of spare shrimps from your good tank that you can transfer when the newly reset tank is ready. Bare in mind that it is quite common (I experienced it, even using a heater) that caridina shrimp slow/stop breeding in winter so don't panic if you don't see any/many new caridina shrimplets until next spring?  Neocaridina don't seem to stop breeding any time of the year!

Simon

I don’t like heaters as they sometimes fail and cool the tank but I have 5 shrimp tanks in one room and the window ledge is all the room I have left for now for the smaller 6 gallon tanks 

• Like 1

A heater sticking on wiped out my wonderful collection of taiwaan bee shrimp, so there is some risk either way. Depending how cold it gets indoors where you live would decide that, but you may be able to get away with not having it switched on most of the time or not really need it at all. Only if it drops below 60 would I think it really necessary! Water changes temperature much slower than the ambient temperature as well so it would have to be really cold indoors before the water dropped to match it! You may not need a heater in Oceanside SoCal I suspect?

Simon

No I’m from Oceanside Long Island, new York 

It’s about 45 degrees outside at night sometimes 35 at night so far.

So I purchased a ph ammonia and a nitrate meters from Hanna instruments .

still trying to get the ph meter calibrated correctly. 
ammonia still 0 and nitrate still 20 ish 

tds 130

ph 6

gh 4

kh 0

Went away for the weekend and came home to 3 more dead crs ..... I’m gonna puke 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear you have lost half the remaining shrimps. At least you have another taiwan bee tank which is doing fine. Be careful not to take anything (including shrimp) from the bad tank and put it in the good tank! It could be an infection as LukeBeveridge above, maybe some shrimp were sick when you got them.

Time to start thinking/preparing to start that tank again! If you are using something different in the tank that you aren't using in any other tank then use what has worked well with the other tanks. At least there is no rush so you can do it at your leisure, and once it is up and running you should have shrimplets you can transfer from your other tank!

There is a device out there to prevent heaters overheating by cutting the power to the heater when it gets too hot, it probably would be worth getting one of those, at least for the taiwan bee tank(s). 

The parameters look fine. The nitrate figue may indicate the tank isn't cycled properly, but I have a tank that has nitrate 25 permanenetly for 5+ years with no problems. You could test the nitrates in the other taiwan bee tank and see what they are out of curiosity, but as I assume you will be re-setting up the bad tank it probably may be better to just get ready to do that.

I feel your disappointment have a tank that is exactly the same and I have (temporarily) given up on that (as I don't know what the problem is) and just have fish in it for now, but I would have to start again if I want to start with taiwan bee shrimp again......

Simon

Stillllllllllll losing 1-2 per day, they are crs 

tds 130 temp 71.8

Ph 5.8-6

gh 4-5

kh 0-1

ammonia 0

nitrate 10-20

should i do a water change? 

? gonna lose it soon

Edited by Able
  • Sad 1

And now for some reason I’m seeing 40-50 nitrate in my neo tank that is thriving except for 4 deaths yesterday doing water change now.

I feed this tank that has 100 or so neos of various ages very small amount of bacter EA

and a small amount of shrimp baby powder food from same mfg. 

and in 2 feeding dishes I put one stick of either shrimp party or shrimp protein from company called shrimpy business.

https://shrimpybusiness.com/products/protein-party-premium-shrimp-food

https://www.amazon.com/GlasGarten-Shrimp-Baby-Food/dp/B07D7YD7G2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=shrimp+baby&qid=1607207962&sprefix=shrimp+baby&sr=8-3

small amount meaning enough to cover the handle end of the spoon that comes with the jar

Edited by Able
  • Sad 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, Able said:

Stillllllllllll losing 1-2 per day

Unfortunately, you are probably still seeing the affects of the ammonia, 2-3 weeks after.

Nothing much we can do now except to ride it out and ensure the tank continues to be free of ammonia. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, Able said:

I feed this tank that has 100 or so neos of various ages very small amount of bacter EA

and a small amount of shrimp baby powder food from same mfg. 

and in 2 feeding dishes I put one stick of either shrimp party or shrimp protein

Do you feed this amount everyday?

Maybe try feeding every 2nd day.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are stillhaving problems but I think you need to accept all the taiwan bees in the problem tank will die off, though you must onnly have a couple left anyway?

Of more cocern at this point is that you now have a problem with the neocaridina tank. I use bacter AE twice a week, sparingly and would feed the baby shrimp food every 2nd day as JayC states and again, don't over-dose. I hope that you haven't lost any more of the neocaridina in the past few days. There is something wrong though if you are getting such nitrate readings!

Simon  

3 hours ago, jayc said:

Unfortunately, you are probably still seeing the affects of the ammonia, 2-3 weeks after.

Nothing much we can do now except to ride it out and ensure the tank continues to be free of ammonia. 

Do you feed this amount everyday?

Maybe try feeding every 2nd day.

Yes I feed this every day. I just did a 25 percent water change. 
I will change the feeding to every other day. When I feed the neos that amount daily the food is eaten immediately. And nothing is left .

but in either of the cardinia tanks they don’t touch the food ever. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The deaths stopped for a while. Now I came home to 6 dead cardinia. 2 raccoons, 2 cbs, 1crs and one dragonblood!!!!!???

3ABE0B26-F087-4A6A-AC27-D9A36CAE6AA8.jpeg

Are these plants toxic to shrimp?

35ECB44F-3DF5-477C-925D-4160D0916956.jpeg

Temp 70.5

tds 120

gh 5-6

kh 0-1

ammo 0

nitrate 5 nitrite 0

• Confused 1

I don't think the plants are toxic as such, but are they new and if so did you get them from somewhere trustworthy to not have used pesticide etc. Did the shrimp come from your other TB tank, or did yo get some more recently?

Does the tank on the windowledge have a cover on it. I suspect it may be poisoning of some type to lose that many in one day? Always clean your hands before putting them in the tank? Are ANY aerosols/cleaning products (fly killer, hairspray) used anywhere near the window? Can polution come through the window when opened as you are in a city (I doubt you open them this time of year though)? As above, have you added anything new which may have had chemicals on it? Also the same goes for the RO water stored in jugs?

The only other thing I can think of is the positioning of the tank. I think you added a heater to the tank shouldn't get too cold but does the window get full sun and that heats the tank during the day?

Those parameters look fine!

Sorry to hear you are still having issues, it looked for a while you were sorted! What is you latest routine with this particular tank?

Simon

The tank with the deaths is a 20 gallon long not near a window. No heater no chemicals.  Everything has been normal so I haven’t done water changes since it all leveled out.

I use long stainless tongs to go in tank never bare hands. 

• Like 1