Kh 0
Ammonia .50-.75
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40
What can I do besides water change?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Able said:

Ammonia .50-.75

Definitely not fully cycled, as you have a fair amount of ammonia detected.

Do you have another tank that is matured? Squeeze the gunk from the filter into this 20Gal tank. Immediately.

• Like 1

It is probably the ammonia as JayC, but just check the water isn't getting too hot as that dead shrimp looks exactly like mine did when the heater stuck on!

Simon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

check the water isn't getting too hot

Good point. 

8 hours ago, Able said:

The 20 Gallon has a matten filter

We should start seeing the ammonia readings drop. Test it again and let us know.

Wash as many filter media you have from other tanks into this 20gal and keep testing. Water changes with RO or rain water will help. Tap water has some ammonia in it, so avoid a water change for now if tap water is all you have.

• Like 1

I don’t use heaters as the shrimp room stays 70-72 degrees f all year long 

and all I use is rodi water with tds of 0 using salty shrimp gh plus Re-mineralized to 110 tds 

I squeezed out 4 separate sponge filters into it last night I will check levels again when I get home from work 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Able said:

all I use is rodi water with tds of 0 using salty shrimp gh plus Re-mineralized to 110 tds 

Perfect.

Let's see what change the cleaning of sponge filters in the tank has done. 

You might as well start collecting and preparing RO water for the upcoming water changes. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Checked this morning and ammonia was 0 again.

nitrate and nitrite was 0 as well.

should I do a water change or just leave it.

had 2 more blue bolts dead and 2 crs looked paralyzed when I went to remove them they barely moved so I left them . They were swimming in upside down circles. I think they will be dead as well tonight when I get home

• Sad 1

I would leave it for now, these types of shrimp are ludicrously sensitive so there may not be anything you can do to save them, but the more you mess about with things the less they are likely to survive. Hopefully they may sutvive, I am  not surprised that the blue bolts were the worst affected, asTaiwan bees are harder to keep than CRS usually! You may be right that the remaining shrimp won't survive much longer as the whole ordeal may have been too much for them unfortunately.

I would just leave it for now as is and keep checking the Ammonia and nitrites/nitrates stay at zero for a while.

Simon

Ok so the ammonia is now 0 but the nitrate is 20-30 ish 

what should I do?

water change?

Lost 4 more shrimp they were crs

and blue panda 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Able said:

water change?

Yes, do a water change. The ammonia has now been converted into Nitrates by the beneficial bacteria.

The shrimps are still facing the impact of the ammonia.

• Like 1

That nitrate figure wouldn't alarm me too much (one of my tanks has that figure all the time) but the lower the better, as long as Ammonia and Nitrite are zero.

You could do a water change but don't do more than 25% and you should always add new water very slowly, by dripper, or very thin tube with your larger setup should work. I would probably squeeze the other tank sponges in the tank again if you can, after any water change obviously if you are doing one!

If you have enough time perhaps you could give us as much detail as you can on this tank and set up, when it was done, what you used in the tank, anything you add such as plant fertiliser etc.

I'm assuming that the shrimp were transferred to this new tank and were in the 10 gallon before?

Did you get on top of the scud problem in the neocaridina tank?

Simon

• Like 1

Neo tank scuds are all Gone as far as last time I posted about them.

in that tank I carefully removed every shrimp including babies I then removed all of the water and the plants and the filter which is a sponge and then I felt just enough to cover the gravel which is black sand with seltzer water they all died pretty much immediately but I waited about two hours Then I drained all of the water again filled it up with rodi water and then drained again to get the dead scuds out there were hundreds of them. Then I put everything back together without the shrimp and ran it for a couple days to make sure I didn’t miss any and then put all of the Neos back in. Knock on wood everything seems perfect in that tank. I hope I did not jinx myself

Edited by Able
  • Like 1

It’s a 20 gallon long with matten filter on the right wall , brightwell substrate, led light hood on 12 hours, cholla wood one Indian almond leaf

one piece drift wood with Java moss

and a rear wall full of tall plants that I can’t remember the name but I will post a picture when I get back home.I think my tank is “MINIMALIST “ as others had said on this site.

Let me know any other things that you would like to know about the tank set up

• Like 1

Hopefully you are done with the scuds in the nocaridina tank, fingers crossed!

The tank looks good and there isn't anything I can see that may cause a problem. The photo is a bit small but modern devices seem to take huge file photos.

When was the tank set up, and did you get the plants/wood from a trustworthy source, no pesticides etc?

Simon

I kind of forgot when I started to set that tank up but I think it was The second week in August

and when I started it I also squeezed the gunk from other sponge filtahs 

These are some of the babies from my other cardinia tank Not sure exactly how I got that coloration

F78FCB8A-106F-4415-85F2-999DC569E48A.jpeg

467B4206-17AC-4E05-85AA-E5F14AA996B1.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks quite like a fancy tiger to me, very pretty. The great thing with the Caridina shrimp is that even mixed breed ones are still pretty with interesting colour and patterns! You never know what you may get next!

There may be  fixed limit to the upload size and combined total storage for users unless they take out a full membership?

I hope the 20 gallon is showing some improvement, and the deaths have stopped? Have you done a test of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Simon

On 11/23/2020 at 4:02 AM, Able said:

Just did 25 percent water change 

How is your Nitrate readings now and have the deaths stopped yet?

• Like 1