Sign in to follow this  
Able

Gh+ and scud problem

Able

So now my neo tank I infested with scuds......

is there any safe way to eliminate them? Without removing all shrimp?

Also I started a 20 gallon long for cardinias.

matten filter

tds130 but I can’t get the gh  above 4-5 without raising the tds over 150 what am I doing wrong?

i use rodi water  tds0 with shrimp king gh+

Using Brightwell substrate 

• Like 1

jayc
16 minutes ago, Able said:

is there any safe way to eliminate them? Without removing all shrimp?

Only way is to physically catch them either with a net or a trap. Unfortunately any chemical treatment will kill scuds will also impact shrimps.

16 minutes ago, Able said:

tds130 but I can’t get the gh  above 4-5 without raising the tds over 150 what am I doing wrong?

150 TDS is still ok for Caridina. 

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

The TDS of 130-150 is perfecr for caridina shrimp, as is the GH 4-5 so there is no problem there! If you are using the shrimp GH+ with RO water then it is perfectly balanced for shrimps and try not to obsess about hitting an exact figure balance.

I had some waterlouse in one of my tanks so i had to re-do the tank. It was a long time ago but it worked and haven't had any since. I was using leaves from a pond and that must have been how they got into the tank. I didn't use any chemicals just took everything out and checked it, and re-set it up, using the same plants etc but carefully checking there were no hitchhikers. They weren't difficult to catch but without removing everything you won't know if you have got them all? You can just put the shrimp and fish in a bucket temporarily while you do the tank. Even filters etc will need to be checked/cleaned as well of course! Be very thorough and don't rush through it and be careful with any equipment like nets as you don't want to accidently transfer a tiny scud to another tank etc.

As JayC says any chemicals will also likely kill shrimps so you would still need to remove them if you want to use chemicals! 

Simon

Able

I saw a you tube video from Flip aquatics and he said cardinia want gh 6-8 but if I use the gh+ to get it that high then my tds is 180-200?

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Neocaridina GH 6-8, TDS 150-250

Caridina GH 4-6, TDS 120-180

I suspect he just got the wrong word out and meant neocaridina!

Simon

• Like 1

jayc
9 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Caridina GH 4-6, TDS 120-180

Yep. Simon is right.

• Thanks 1

Able

Ok thank you . 
i guess the scuds will just have to stay.

i can’t use a gravel vacuum cause I have black sand as substrate.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

They are harmless and a sign of good water quality so you can leave them in the tank but will probably need to keep culling as many as you can every so often. I think they were fairly easy to catch if I recall correctly?

The main thing is to be very careful about possibly transferrng them by mistake to other tanks. I would get a net just for that tank, that would be the easiest precaution, and don't move plants etc from that tank!

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      A 5gal into a 10gal is double the change in water.  You should drip acclimate. Even more so if it was a move to a 15 gal.   Simon makes some good points with temp differences.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to see you back, I assume all is doing well! As you are transferring everything from one tank to another, and using a neutral substrate (gravel) you can probably do it in one go. If you are getting a new filter as it is a larger tank then I would float the sponge from the new filter in the 5L tank for a week or two to get some bacteria on to it, but it looks like you will be transferring your existing filter which can just be transferred as it is. If you are using some sort of active soil substrate you will need to run that in to avoid any ammonia spikes or other build up of nutrients etc before that is put into the new setup, but you say gravel so this is probably not relevant. I assume you will catch the shrimp and put them somewhere safe whilst you do all the tank work so I would drip acclimate them for a couple of hours to the new water to be safest, once you have completely set up and filled the new tank! If they are neocaridina shrimps you are transferring and the water parameters are very close you would probably be able to miss the drip acclimating, but I would play it safe and drip acclimate though! You will also need to ensure the water temperature is matched when you go to put the shrimp in the tank as the shrimp may have been in water that has cooled over the time they were put to one side. How are the tanks doing, and did the small micro crabs work out? Simon 
    • Ludwiggg17
      Hello everyone, lately I've been thinking of upgrading a tank of mine from a 5 gal into either a 10 or 15 one. So I plan to move all the stuff and shrimp from the 5 gal into the new one. I'll use the same gravel and the same water for the new tank and the filter and plants will come from the 5 gal. My question is, do I still need to cycle it separately with a new seeded filter or is the whole using a mature filter okay? Also is skipping drip acclimation when the water params are almost identical acceptable?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you have lost half the remaining shrimps. At least you have another taiwan bee tank which is doing fine. Be careful not to take anything (including shrimp) from the bad tank and put it in the good tank! It could be an infection as LukeBeveridge above, maybe some shrimp were sick when you got them. Time to start thinking/preparing to start that tank again! If you are using something different in the tank that you aren't using in any other tank then use what has worked well with the other tanks. At least there is no rush so you can do it at your leisure, and once it is up and running you should have shrimplets you can transfer from your other tank! There is a device out there to prevent heaters overheating by cutting the power to the heater when it gets too hot, it probably would be worth getting one of those, at least for the taiwan bee tank(s).  The parameters look fine. The nitrate figue may indicate the tank isn't cycled properly, but I have a tank that has nitrate 25 permanenetly for 5+ years with no problems. You could test the nitrates in the other taiwan bee tank and see what they are out of curiosity, but as I assume you will be re-setting up the bad tank it probably may be better to just get ready to do that. I feel your disappointment have a tank that is exactly the same and I have (temporarily) given up on that (as I don't know what the problem is) and just have fish in it for now, but I would have to start again if I want to start with taiwan bee shrimp again...... Simon  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That is a beautiful shrimp! Mixing different colours as you are will mean you will get offspring reverting to wild (brown or clear usually) quite quickly. Simon