Sign in to follow this  
Huero

What are these white dots on my crayfish, is it ich

jayc

Shrimps and Crayfish don't suffer from Ich.

This looks like parasitic Scutariella.

You can read about it in this post along with possible treatments.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Chels
      Thank you again for all of the excellent advice!! Yes!! I didn't actually introduce the trumpet snails on purpose. Either the plants from my local independent pet store had hitchhikers or the plants from Petco had some. I rinsed them thoroughly didn't quarantine them so it's my fault. I will catch all but 1 and put them in my turtle tank. Never a short supply of algae in there even with 4 snails and a bn pleco. Neon tetras are super readily available here.  I introduced a single snail and it hasn't reproduced yet. It's black and I can't remember the name. And with a bristlenose pleco there is still a lot of biofilm and small food particles to clean. I really did a number overfeeding because there's food all over even after sectioning the substrate + 2 WCs. I'm feeding a teeny tiny amount every few days on top of the biofilm. They take hours to eat it all.  It's hard to tell how much to feed, I wish there was a care guide just on that part. I have omnivore shrimp pellets which are discs, I feel 1/4 of those and a tiny piece of a pleco pellet (disc) and a few tiny granules of herbivore invert pellets. That's every 3 days but I could probably go 4 or 5 with all the biofilm. I have a heater but never use it except for the biofilm. It's a favorite for grazing and it's now spotless. Had a gross crust a few days ago. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have heard and seen L Bretz videos but I didn't think he was USA based so didn't mention him. His website doesn't say where he is based from my brief look but if he is USA, he is well known in the hobby! The caridina are definitely worth the extra work IF you can get it to work??? They may need some form of cooler in the summer where you live unless you run air-con a lot. My cherry shrimp are ok to about 85 (tanks haven't gone above that ever here) or possibly higher, but when I had caridina 79 was when it started to get tricky? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Probably (as JayC recommended) a neon tetra or 2 may be worth a try, tetras spend most of their time midway in the tanks depth of water. My oldest tank has 5 ember tetras, 5 neon tetras and ??? red cherry shrimps and I have never seen the fish go for the shrimp in the 5 years+ it has been running, though there is a lot of subwassertang (?) to hide in and most shrimps are now boring brown/clear so they are hard to see and maybe don't look tasty to the fish. Neon tetras are also cheap and readily available, here anyway? The malasian trumpet snails will help clear the overfeed - by the way we have all made that overfeed mistake at the start - but they can be a problem in their own right as they breed so quickly? I have occasionally spotted detritis worms but never had an infestation and probably every tank has them anyway. An infestation of those would indicate over feeding. Any fish will likely eat them. Don't worry about a few of those, they are harmless enough and I think every tank has them! It  sounds though, that you have a lot competing for food, shrimps, worms, snails, copepods all in a small  tank....... Simon  
    • Chels
      Thank you Crabby & Simon!! I'm not able to like posts for the rest of the day, but I definitely will +1 both of your replies when I can. I greatly appreciate the recommendations. I won't be making any purchases to ship anything live until about a month from now. We're still getting into the 40s F at night here in the mountains. I've been reading up on Caridina tanks and they're much higher maintenance, but I think definitely worth it. Buffering substrate, much more specific parameters, additional nutrients & specialized foods. I'm starting to build up an inventory now for adding more tanks and when I'm brave enough to get into caridina.  I'm hoping to purchase from multiple home breeders to get enough genetic diversity so I'm hoping to get a multitude of recommendations. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Edit: Another breeder I saw recommended from a post back in May is L.R.Bretz Aquatics.
    • Chels
      Thank you Simon!! I have read all of the posts from the past year or so (down the rabbit hole I go), so I did see your comments about the seed shrimp infestation. Nasty little cocroaches!! Everyone seems to be in agreement on the killies, dwarf rasboras & neon tetras. I think I will have to suck it up and grow some ground cover so I can add a single nanofish to keep the pest population down but still keep my shrimplets safe. I found 2 detritus worms floating yesterday, although I can't see any in the parts of the tank which are visible. Which I know means there are many more I can't see. There is a back corner I can't really get my eyes on, I'm sure they're there. I just did 2 WCs this past week because overfeeding caused food particles to be everywhere, and suctioned the substrate in the front of my tank. Thankfully my berried female did not molt. In the back end of the tank are the hiding spots and an especially good hiding spot that is planted in the corner. I think I have the feeding down now, every few days and very tiny amounts. They actually ate nearly all of the food this last feeding. I'm probably going to be dealing with the effects of my overfeeding thus far for weeks until my cleaners can get to it all. My trumpet snails will literally dive into the substrate to get to the food particles. Amazing little buggers.