Artificially hatching eggs

kthien

Hi all,

I managed to save a good amount of eggs (70-80) from a golden neocaridina and am attempting to hatch them in an egg tumbler. I noticed that they started to grow a white fuzzy-like growth around them, which may be attributed to the clear membrane that I was too lazy to remove or the notorious, deadly fungal growth. I'm more-so experienced in raising Corydoras than shrimps, and these would be removed from the tumbler to avoid fouling the rest. However, I spoke to an experienced breeder who stated that she had successfully hatched ones like these, and so I thought that there would be no harm in trying (in a separate tumbler).

6ea056a2-1f79-4daf-b0a9-5494f73e8aaa.jpg.bbcf7fc414df334fe659cac29919ed5a.jpg   

Pq9Mk25.jpg

I promptly removed the eggs and performed a dip in a diluted methylene blue bath. Will see how they go. 

47c318ea-97ce-4684-895a-c8a26875482c.thumb.jpg.ccfac9c2a38fee805fcf872804096294.jpg

• Like 3

Good luck! I'm doing the same thing right now with some tangerine tiger eggs dropped in a moult, I don't have a tumbler though so I'm using a net over an airstone. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Guess today was the day. This was one of many. I was doing a dip every 2-3 days, for about 5 seconds, whether it helped or not, I'm not entirely sure!

5bc2a1d2-5983-48a4-92d8-c62d61e76abf.thumb.jpg.6d2b7686d8c9dea140a74f179664e3d2.jpg

• Like 2

FANTASTIC! You must be thrilled and all the effort was was clearly worth it. They will be very fragile so you aren't totally there yet as they could still perish but I have my fingers crossed and well done!

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks Simon! It was a nice surprise, especially with the ongoing issues with the tank. I might stop h2o2 treatment now with them being born and all.. What are your personal go to foods for keeping them alive? and feeding frequency?

• Like 1

Are they in the tank or separate? In an established tank they will probably just survive on biofilm, especially if there is a limit number of them. I use Bacter AE which encourages biofilm growth and I'm not sure whether the shrimp eat it as well as they sually make a beeline for it? I used to feed the shrimp a Chi Ebi baby shrimp food. Both bacter AE and thebaby shrimp food are powder and I dip about 5mm of a wooden stick (match etc) in the water, then into the product, knock off excess, and then swirl in the tank! I did this twice a week. I don't honestly know whether feeding the babies made any difference but the tank was very well stocked with shrimp by that stage, so it probably must have helped. There are a few baby shrimp foods, most makes do one and they will be powder.

If you move them from one tank to another you should drip acclimate them over a good few hours, even if the parameters are pretty similar, especially when they so small/young.

Baby shrimp tend not to move far from one spot to start with and hide often so you may not see much of them in a normal aquarium setting until they have settled in.

Simon 

?  Perfect.  Great effort indeed.  And thanks for the update!

• Like 2