kthien

Artificially hatching eggs

kthien

Hi all,

I managed to save a good amount of eggs (70-80) from a golden neocaridina and am attempting to hatch them in an egg tumbler. I noticed that they started to grow a white fuzzy-like growth around them, which may be attributed to the clear membrane that I was too lazy to remove or the notorious, deadly fungal growth. I'm more-so experienced in raising Corydoras than shrimps, and these would be removed from the tumbler to avoid fouling the rest. However, I spoke to an experienced breeder who stated that she had successfully hatched ones like these, and so I thought that there would be no harm in trying (in a separate tumbler).

6ea056a2-1f79-4daf-b0a9-5494f73e8aaa.jpg.bbcf7fc414df334fe659cac29919ed5a.jpg   

Pq9Mk25.jpg

I promptly removed the eggs and performed a dip in a diluted methylene blue bath. Will see how they go. 

47c318ea-97ce-4684-895a-c8a26875482c.thumb.jpg.ccfac9c2a38fee805fcf872804096294.jpg

• Like 3

sdlTBfanUK

Good luck with this, there are a few on here that have succeeded doing this so it is worth trying!

Simon

• Like 1

Grubs

Do it.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Crabby

Good luck! I'm doing the same thing right now with some tangerine tiger eggs dropped in a moult, I don't have a tumbler though so I'm using a net over an airstone. 

• Like 2

kthien

Hey guys,

Guess today was the day. This was one of many. I was doing a dip every 2-3 days, for about 5 seconds, whether it helped or not, I'm not entirely sure!

5bc2a1d2-5983-48a4-92d8-c62d61e76abf.thumb.jpg.6d2b7686d8c9dea140a74f179664e3d2.jpg

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

FANTASTIC! You must be thrilled and all the effort was was clearly worth it. They will be very fragile so you aren't totally there yet as they could still perish but I have my fingers crossed and well done!

Simon

• Like 1

kthien

Thanks Simon! It was a nice surprise, especially with the ongoing issues with the tank. I might stop h2o2 treatment now with them being born and all.. What are your personal go to foods for keeping them alive? and feeding frequency?

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Are they in the tank or separate? In an established tank they will probably just survive on biofilm, especially if there is a limit number of them. I use Bacter AE which encourages biofilm growth and I'm not sure whether the shrimp eat it as well as they sually make a beeline for it? I used to feed the shrimp a Chi Ebi baby shrimp food. Both bacter AE and thebaby shrimp food are powder and I dip about 5mm of a wooden stick (match etc) in the water, then into the product, knock off excess, and then swirl in the tank! I did this twice a week. I don't honestly know whether feeding the babies made any difference but the tank was very well stocked with shrimp by that stage, so it probably must have helped. There are a few baby shrimp foods, most makes do one and they will be powder.

If you move them from one tank to another you should drip acclimate them over a good few hours, even if the parameters are pretty similar, especially when they so small/young.

Baby shrimp tend not to move far from one spot to start with and hide often so you may not see much of them in a normal aquarium setting until they have settled in.

Simon 

jayc

Congrats and well done on hatching your shrimp artificially.

• Like 2

Grubs

👍  Perfect.  Great effort indeed.  And thanks for the update!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Tell us what is wrong with your shrimp and give us as much details about your water parameters as possible.
    • John Henry
      Hi there, here's a rant / question out of the blue! I couldn't see a category so here I go. I'm currently investigating an idea surrounding the breeding of Glass Shrimp (Paratya Australiensis) for a small scale supply to private aquarium owners and potentially for live feed in Tasmania. You're probably already aware that it's illegal to import shrimp of any kind into Tasmania and I contacted the Department in charge of Inland Fisheries last week to discuss how we might go about breeding from captured stock within the state. To be honest, I was a little surprised with the way I was spoken to; their representative (referring to himself as 'the bunny that has to answer these questions') said that I would need to establish wether or not they're here (saying they're very hard to find), that everyone he knows of has been unsuccessful in breeding them in captivity and finishing his opening statement with "Why would anyone want to keep shrimp? Why would someone buy shrimp as fish food when they can just buy flakes?" To follow this, I was told that they wouldn't even consider a permit to catch any shrimp unless the operation was part of a research project supported by an educational institution or similar. There was a lot of talk about biosecurity and what might happen if shrimp were released into the wild but the conversation turned sour as soon as I mentioned that the shrimp would be back with their original colonies that already live in Tasmania. To be fair, I'm aware that introduced aquatic life can cause irreparable damage but I'm struggling to understand how an accidental release of a species that already exists here would make any difference. They're already a substantial food source for freshwater species here but does that mean that any diseases originating in a private aquarium could have a devastating effect? Now, I've the super helpful article by user @fishmosy from a few years ago and it convinced me to join your forum. It confirms my own knowledge of freshwater shrimp in the state given that I've lived here all my life and I've spoken to many that catch them (illegally) on a regular basis and even watched Tasmanian videos on youtube that demonstrate how to do so. I know they can be bred in captivity because there are people such as yourselves guiding others to achieve the success you also enjoy. I know there's a market because there are literally no shrimp available for purchase anywhere in Tasmania (legally). I tried contacting @fishmosy directly to see if I can incorporate some of the findings in the article or ask their personal opinions but they can't receive messages and haven't been active for a couple of years now. You might be wondering where this is going but I don't really know why I'm reaching out to you all, honestly. I guess I've been butting heads with departmental cases over the better part of the last month and I just needed to talk to someone that can potentially tell me if I'm stupid for pursuing this. If you were in my position, what would you do? A couple of options I've considered are contacting a mate of mine that's a marine biologist and actually starting a research project, or working to ease the restrictions and start a registration for approved shrimp breeders. Cheers! Johno
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I doubt anyone has tried the Veterinarian route for shrimps as it would probably be too complex, time consuming and expensive! Probably you would be lucky if you could find one that would prescribe the medication you want but as you say that won't be easy either as they would want to see what you want it for. If you want a specifc medication does that mean you know what the problem is, and where it came from? If you post a photo and details on here there will likely be someone who can help diagnose it and may be able to advize what to do next! There may be some details here, https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/ Simon 
    • Queerzzical
      Has anyone else found it neigh impossible to find a vet that will look at shrimp? I've talked to nearly all the exotic vets in my area (Chicagoland), including a connection I had to a zoo vet, and even the vets that have experience with invertebrates have refused to see and attempt a diagnosis them due to not having experience with shrimps. I've been attempting to get a prescription-only medication, but there hasn't been any way to get a hold of it beyond online ordering, which I prefer to avoid if possible. I've spent many frustrating hours on the phone that haven't led to anything, so I'm hoping anyone here may have any advice or have had similar experiences.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      They are harmless and a sign of good water quality so you can leave them in the tank but will probably need to keep culling as many as you can every so often. I think they were fairly easy to catch if I recall correctly? The main thing is to be very careful about possibly transferrng them by mistake to other tanks. I would get a net just for that tank, that would be the easiest precaution, and don't move plants etc from that tank! Simon