ricksza

Leaves, Green or Brown

ricksza

Close to end of summer here, should I collect my leaves while they're still green on the tree or should I wait until they turn brown? In the past I collected brown leaves while they were still on the tree, boiled them and then dried for the rest of the year. I've recently read that the green leaves have more nutrition. I have a safe Magnolia tree that I use one leaf per week in each tank.

• Like 2

Crabby

I don't see harm in collecting green leaves. The guy I bought my first ever group of shrimp from used fresh mulberry leaves (I assume boiled) in his shrimp tanks. 

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

I collect leaves in autumn when they have dropped from the tree to the ground, and have enough for the whole year! I don't boil them, just make sure they are properly dry and store them away. With leaves from the tree you probably do need to boil them if you plan to use them as a directt food source though and I assume there is more nutrition in fresh leaves. I don't really use the leaves as a direct food source, I tend to use them for releasing goodness into the tank and growing biofilm. Sometimes I use fresh spinach and that needs cooking first and the shrimp used to swarm on that and eat that. 

If you are asking whether it is best to DRY green leaves, or brown leaves I'm not all that sure which would be better? Obvviously any leaves must be from an organic source free of any possible polution as well.

Simon

• Like 1

jayc

This is what I do...

1) if using as food, I pick green and blanch them in boiling water for a minute.

2) if using leaves to create a biotope, I use brown leaves that have dropped. 

• Like 2

ricksza
2 hours ago, jayc said:

This is what I do...

1) if using as food, I pick green and blanch them in boiling water for a minute.

2) if using leaves to create a biotope, I use brown leaves that have dropped. 

As soon as I drop in a dried brown leaf into my tank, the shrimp & otos land on it. Otherwise, I feed 1 scoop Bacter EA once a week, they feed off the biofilm (they won't touch any brand pellet I drop in). It's a 20 gallon tank with about 100 Fire Red Neocaridina. 

• Like 2