Differences between female Endler's and Guppy femalees

wayne6442

Guys can I help dispel some myths about differences  in the guppy female and the Endler's female . I see a lot of people claiming that their female Endler' s have a coloured tail and dorsal fin, This is not true, The true Endler female has no colour in these regions. A so called Endler female with colour has had some sort of hybridation  occurred in it's linage, A lot of people buy Endlers from some breeders when the fish are young, after a month or so the female starts showing colour on its tail and dorsal fins,  naturally the person  thinks the fish is a real Endler because the guy who sold it to them said so. when in fact it's classification is a Hybrid "K" Class.

However there are some subtle differences between the two, I must admit it is difficult when the fish are young (Please refer to the pictures below) 

Guys I am not down on hybrids, however i feel sorry for people who think they have one thing but have another, There are many Endler Types out there and few true Endlers

do your checks before you buy

endlers female.jpg

guppy female.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for this Wayne! I've found that most hybrid females will have colour on their tail eventually, but some develop colour very early (tigers, or my 'cobras'), while others may take a very long time to show any colour (Jap blues, black bars). This can make it very difficult to discern the species when they are juveniles.