Shrimp id needed.

SudhirR

Was sourced as tiger shrimp - Caridina sp. I got a red variety and also slight brownish and greenish ones.

They appear nothing like the tiger shrimp from forum posts and hence wanted to get an ID of this shrimp.

They are in a soft water tank 1-2 dKH, 4-5 dH, 140 TDS and doing ok. Breeding as well

Can you help me determine what type of dwarf shrimp they are?

6cb38e5207eccb480f69e60a717a4a6c.jpg

40f6ac3df9cbfeda10aef042fd7a3eed.jpg

47a2f08adbb3c6057131d481571cf6b3.jpg

• Like 1

They appear to be red cherry to me, the 2 clear ones being ones reverted back to wild, I have had lots like that over the years!

They look very healthy and I hope you aren't too disappointed?

Simon

Yeah, those are absolutely cherries mate. How much did you pay for them? If they were sold at tiger prices, for that quality of cherry shrimp, that's an absolute ripoff!

• Like 1

I paid about the price of a high red cherry shrimp for them. So it’s more than what I would have paid for them if I had know they are just plain old cherry shrimps.

I bought them from a retailer, was ordered through a WhatsApp group and it was delivered home. The retailer had sent a video of the shrimps but it was a top view and it was hard to have made the difference. I went ahead with a trust in the retailer.

I do not believe it was a rip off, I think the retailer also just did not know they were cherry shrimps with a wild type coloration. The understanding of tiger shrimps and their types and colorations are not that available locally imo.

I am happy to keep them. I love keeping them. But assuming they were tigers I have added dream blue cherry shrimps into the same tank. So they will all interbreed and there would be no more dream blues!!!

This tank would not become an oddball/ cull tank. That’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The odd balls in this tank do keep surprising me with some color and pattern variations once in a while.

Will post some pics of few different looking ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1