Is it possible to end up with nerite snail babies in your tank???!!!!

Subtlefly

Hi team!

So since I planted the tank I had this tiny snail cruising around- its bigger now- check the photo - he is about as big as a pea

spacer.png

sorry for the bad quality!

So today (ha ha  after ordering a group of nerite snails from liverpool creek aquariums) as I was cleaning the tank I noticed more tiny snails getting around - they are really small at the moment, maybe half the size of a grain of rice.. but can they be nerite snails?  Could they have come in on plants so small?  I know they cannot breed in fresh water so are they some other kind of snail??  Sorry about the messy tank, halfway through cleaning and ran for the camera

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Mystery solved,  They are bladder snails - so I am glad that I ordered the nerite snails now!  I will be picking them out and euthanising them when I see them from now on:)

Edited by Subtlefly
  • Like 1

Those are very common pond snails and probably came with some plants, though they may have been eggs then attached to the plants. They are harmless but can become a nuisance if the numbers grow so it is probably best to remove any you see when you see them. They still do the good work of any snail!

You won't get the same population problem with Nerite snails as the babies need brackish water, but you may see eggs etc on the glass still, they just won't come to anything!

Simon