best algae clean up crew and interbreeding?

Subtlefly

Hi team,

So my tank is cycled and water parameters are looking really good.  I have some high quality blue dream shrimp on the way - but what are your ideas on clean up crew?  Will the blue dreams be enough with a few nerite snails?  I know octo catfish are great but the tank needs to be really well established first.  What about the "Australian Amano Shrimp"?  I feel a bit sad about having crew in the tank that can never breed (like the poor old nerite snails).. so what about ninja or chameleon shrimp? or NQ algae eaters?  Will they interbreed with the blue dreams?  Am I better off to just see how it goes for a while and put up with some algae - and then maybe put a small group of octo catfish on the job?

What do you reckon?

Thanks and have a great day

sub

• Like 1

I would just see how it goes and let the tank settle before adding anything other than the blue dream and snails. You could add a couple of amano but they will be dominant over the smaller neocaridina so don't get more than a couple, but that will add another dimension/interest!

I have only ever had an algae problem when I have a new or recently set up tank, once settled I have never had a problem with algae?

I don't think you will be able to breed the ninja shrimp as they have larvae in brackish water according to my book?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

None of the aussie natives will interbreed with anything, so ur good for that. Typus (aussie amano) can be freaking expense ($25 ea at my LFS) cuz they're not in demand. Riffles can be bred in fresh, as can DRN, i think ninjas/chameleons, paratya (ghost/glass), and blackmore river shrimp. DAE won't breed in freshwater, nor will NQ algae shrimp afaik. Most snails will breed out of control, but I have MTS and don't mind them (I also have a dense carpet tho). You could also have fish for your cleanup crew. My favourites are SAE (true SAE tho), otto cats and cories. All very easy to source, and super cute imo. My SAE nibbles on my fingers whenever my hands are in the tank for maintenance - he's a very personable fish. To be honest though, you could just get 5 or so nerites (micro aquatic shop probably has a deal) and they could handle the whole tank. They're tiny, but they demolish algae. 

Hope that helps. My favourite resource for the shrimp is Aquagreen, and particularly this document they've produced. https://www.aquagreen.com.au/files/Freshwater_Shrimps_of_NT.pdf

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

You could add a couple of amano

Unfortunately we don't have them here in Aus.

• Like 2

@Subtlefly,You are not going to need a clean up crew ... yet. 

Don't trust SAE's with shrimp.

The first signs of algae you will see is brown diatoms. Diatoms are best handled by snails or Ottos. Or just scrub it off ! you don't need a clean up crew for diatoms. Any diatoms you scrap off the glass will be eaten by the shrimps.

SAE's are great at cleaning up green hair algae, and black beard algae. But SAEs can't get at diatoms.  And as I said, don't trust them with shrimp. 

But don't get them until you see signs of loosing the battle with algae. What algae you have will determine the type of fish you can use to combat it. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Ah, I've never had them in a tank with shrimp, sorry if I provided misleading advice. I've found that if I cycle my tanks with plants, I don't get a crazy bacterial bloom, nor do I get brown diatoms - instead I get hair algae (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...)

• Like 1