Organic Seaweed Powder

Jordan

Hi everyone,

I got this from my local pet store, it is 100% organic seaweed.

It naturally contains copper but I have read conflicting information about copper, I also have read seaweed is great from shrimp health. 

Please let me know what you all think, if this is safe to scatter like baby shrimp powder or even to make some home made shrimp-pops (the powdered food on skewers)

Thanks in advance ?

20200903_113008.jpg

20200903_113002.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a good question!

Shrimps, like every creature do indeed need copper from what I understand, the probblem is too much (and that doesn't need to be much either) is very toxic to them if too much?

I don't think I would risk it personally, though I can't see how much copper it has in it, it just says traces?

If you have a spare small tank I might try it in that with a couple of cull shrimps first!

Simon

On 9/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, Jordan said:

It naturally contains copper but I have read conflicting information about copper,

Copper is an essential element for shrimps in trace amounts. 

Too much exposure to copper will "burn" their gills. But this is with algae treatments <edit> - Or fertilisers, that use chelated copper. . 

You will be fine with copper found in seaweed.

I feed my shrimps Nori sheets, occasionally.  

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

In biological agriculture and horticulture diluted extracts of seaweed are applied to promote growth, prevent pests and diseases and improve the quality of the products. The efficacy of the extracts is probably based upon plant hormones (mainly cytokinins) and trace nutrients present in the extracts. Well, can I have it form my local Wegmans store? I never looked for it before but I would now ask for it.

Edited by kevipai