Mirri

What's wrong with my cherries please?!

Mirri

20200826_195335.thumb.jpg.dde490fee3e38d2339fcc994068e2045.jpgNew to shrimp keeping and trying my best! I think water parameters are OK, have live plants, filter, light on a timer, heater and RO water with weekly water changes and testing. Fed 2x a week 1 ball per shrimp of 'shrimp enhancer ' supplement (calcium and magnesium in etc) but 2 shrimpies have an issue... sort of discoloured/opaque orangey bit on their backs.

Can't find anything similar in pics so hoping for diagnosis and way to fix please!!

ps. Apologies for crap picture, phone won't focus!

Edited by Mirri
add pic
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

welcome fellow UK shrimp keeper.

I can't see anything that would worry me at this point? If they are red cherry then they come in many grades and some have a stripe down the back.

How long have you had them and are you sure they didn't come like that when you got them (they rarely all look the same)? Are they acting normally otherwise?

Do you use RO water and add GH/KH+ shrimp product? I see you have an inert gravel substrate! What are the water parameters? How much water do you change each week?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

Crabby

Google 'Cherry Shrimp Racer Stripe'.
It's a colour variant of cherries. May be what your shrimp are. I personally love racer stripe cherries of all colours.
If you're worried, could you send us your parameters? Just to check.
Looking good with the live plants! Is that anubias I see? 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Flynn002
      By Flynn002
      Hi, I am doing a project for my college course:
      How does temperature affect the number of fry a cherry shrimp produces?
      I have setup a small 18L nano tank and it’s currently cycling. When ready, I am planning on taking 1 male and 1 female cherry shrimp from my main shrimp tank and putting them in the new tank. and waiting until I see eggs. I will then remove the male and when the eggs have hatched, or when the babies are big enough to see, I will count them. 
      I will then repeat this with different temperatures.
      it seems like it will all work in theory and I have 1 year to do this so time is not an issue. The only issue I see is that I’m unsure how Will I accurately count the fry? 
      This is vital for my project and if anybody has ideas I would greatly appreciate it. 
      cheers :)
    • WaldoDude
      By WaldoDude
      Hello,

I've had 3 cherry shrimp die in the last 2 weeks and can't seem to pin point the issue. For context I had 13 cherry shrimp in a planted 10 gallon with 7 Celestial Pearl Danios. I found the first dead shrimp one afternoon, half eaten by the CPDs. Now about 4-5 months back I had witnessed my CPDs attack and kill a small male cherry shrimp. So my initial thoughts were that the CPDs had done it again, which is odd in itself as they have been fine together for many months. So a week later I found another dead cherry but this time it seemed to have died within the last hour of me spotting it and it hadn't been touched by the CPDs (it was at night, so the CPDs were sleeping). This got me thinking that perhaps, the first Shrimp had died due to something else and then picked off by the CPDs. About 5 days later to today, I found the 3rd dead shrimp again already half eaten by the CPDs, this one was a large adult female. Now on top of all this, I have also had 5 of 6 shrimplets in a hang-on breeder box die. The shrimplets were the first to go and which I think makes sense if it was something to do with the tank environment as they would've been more sensitive. I initially thought I wasn't feeding the shrimplets enough or that it was because I wasn't rinsing the baby brine shrimp I was feeding to the CPD fry. Now that the adults are dying too, i dont think it is a coincidence nor do I think its my CPDs that are the issue.

My speculation is that they are having a molting issues. Now the dead shrimp I found whole had a white line across its back and a cloudy white underbelly, which I took to indicate a molting issue. The shrimplets seem to be having a molting issues too, although the 1 remaining shrimplet molted successfully, and many of the adults did too judging by the many molts scattered about the tank. However, I tested my GH and KH and got 6 and 4 respectively, which I believe is fine from what I've googled. Also I figured if there was an issue with a lack of calcium/minerals could it mean that those that successfully molted could still suffer from a weaker exoskeleton and thus be more vulnerable to the CPDs?
      Another possibility I thought was muscular necrosis, as the half eaten shrimp I found today had a cloudy white underbelly too and from memory the others all did  (not 100% sure) but I had always thought that was just something that happens when a shrimp dies. I'll attach photos to see what you all think.
      I've also considered that perhaps i'm not feeding them enough/well but my previous attempts at feeding them blanched veggies have been unfruitful, they dont swarm the veggies or really touch it (i've tried sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and broccoli). They dont go crazy for the shrimp algae wafers or the hikari shrimp pellets  either but I chuck it in the tank once a week just in case but I assume there's enough algae/biofilm for them. 
      I'm thinking of getting a mineral/calcium supplement for the water but not sure if thats a good idea if my gh/kh is already fine. 
      CPDs are all fine and healthy. 

Anyways here are my parameters:

Ammonia - 0
      Nitrite - 0
      Nitrate - 0
      PH - 8.0
      GH - 6
      KH - 4
      TDS - don't know. I've seen mentions of TDS but not quite sure how important it is with cherry shrimp. Do you think I should get a TDS meter?
      Temp - 26C
      Water change - 25% once a week with dechlorinated tap water.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.
      Cheers!
      Pictures
      Top Left: latest death with white underside (fuzziness?) visible. Top Right: Second death with the white line across the back visible as well as a white potruding underbelly.
      Bottom Left: Just a picture of an alive shrimp in the tank, to see if anyone can see anything wrong. Are those brownish discoloration an issue?
      Bottom Right: Another live shrimp can also see a white underbelly which I thought was normal?

• Submerged
      By Submerged
      Hi! I've just started a YouTube channel, and my first video is of my 8 month old no filter Jarrarium. Nothing in-depth, more about the aesthetics...and the cherry shrimp 🙂
      Subscribe if you like it, as I'll be posting more videos of other tanks, updates on tanks etc.
      Take a look and let me know what you think! Would be good to get some knowledgeable opinions! Thanks🙂

• Dashrimp
      By Dashrimp
      Hi all. I'm a newbie. I'm keeping a 90 litre tank with cherry shrimp and daphnia together. I'm feeding them spirulina and commercial shrimp food.
       Does anyone know what else I should be feeding them? Anyone else have this mix of tankmates?
    • YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP 🙂 
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      How hot has it been the week before they were delivered?
    • Ludwiggg17
      I'll try quarantining them starting tomorrow morning and try to keep an eye out if there is any development on their condition.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I wouldn't want to commit using those photos, and I don't know what a healthy shrimp of that type looks like to be honest. I would expect some discolouration from shipping etc, but that same thing could also have made them sick as you say. When I looked up pictures on google all the shrimps were a cloudy light brown so they are naturally cloudy and maybe just lost some colour in transit, see if anything changes in a day or two? Can you remove them and keep them separate for maybe a week, even in a bucket etc, using tank water as they have acclimated to that already! Of course catching and moving them again will stress them even more............ Simon
    • Ludwiggg17
      Hello everyone, i got 5 C. typus at 7:00 p.m. (UTC+8). They were stuck for a day or so from shipping before i received them and i got worried some of them would've died. In some kind of miracle 4 of them survived. When i got them acclimated to my tanks i took some time to observe them and i noticed some of them had this pale white look on their bodies and immediately got worried because i know i could endanger my other shrimp. Sorry for low res pics i'll try to get more shots tomorrow Here are two pictures of one of them:  
    • ShrimpLuke
      The yellow cherry aren't kept with reds, they just bred from that colony and now are by themselves but yeah ill probably seperate the shrimps in questions and find out thanks heaps!