Uh Oh... What's this?

Crabby

Erm, I think my blue dream shrimp have a disease. Either that, or they're the coolest colour morph I've ever seen. But there is an orange line going down the center of the rostrum on multiple specimens. I'll upload a photo as soon as I can get one. But is this a common disease? I can't see it on my TTS in the same tank, although it would be harder to spot... seeing as they're already orange.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Confused 1

I think we need a picture to really see what you mean? Even a low quality picture would be better than nothing!

Simon

• Like 1

large.1663204648_IMG_05532.JPG.54b5ddca2dd171b79f7ff89760cc894f.JPGlarge.1109354896_IMG_05521.JPG.fa3b387c92b2b4814761f2fb8e1ac21a.JPGlarge.1844874537_IMG_05501.JPG.b3c60407035a5393b77efe6af426437d.JPGlarge.1216685901_IMG_05481.JPG.6abc16a12c7cf51df1bd9c95fe2fccef.JPGlarge.1843713801_IMG_05381.JPG.4ef30e89220f8143805b0583ec5353cb.JPG

Awful pics, I know, I'll try to get some better ones with my phone. Just in case it is easily recognisable. I asked Alex from 'The Secret History Living Inside Your Aquarium' on a YT livestream about it, and he said he thought it was a disease, and should be treated similarly to scutelliara and nematodes.

• Confused 1

I can't see anything wrong with those shrimps, they are a beautiful blue colouring! I'm probably not the right person though as I haven't any experience with shrimp disease? Make sure there is definitely a problem before embarking on treatments though as that could prove more disasterous so you don't want to start that unneccasarily?

Simon

You'll need to zoom way in on the head.

But from initial estimation, it's Scut.

• Like 1

I've got a couple more pics. Much better than the above ones. I will pull out a magnifying glass and get some shots through that. To me, though, it doesn't look like scutariella (just realised I spelt it all wrong before), in that it seems to be a straight line along the rostrum, and it is orange, not white (as in the photos I see of scutariella when I google it, the disease looks white). It doesn't seem to protrude from the rostrum. Definitely not going to do anything until we identify what it actually is. Hoping it is just a colour morph that has come out as they've aged.

• Like 1

It didn't sound like scutariella by the description, ie a line down the back not pretruding and orange??? I could JUST make out the line in the photos but it didn't look like anything to worry me?

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing to worry about, but I am always keen to learn something new.

The videos I have seen of scutariella looks like tufts of hair protruding from the shell, usually clear whitish?

Simon

Having looked again all I can see is the digestive tract that goes along the back, the colour of which will be affected by what it has eaten??

Edited by sdlTBfanUK