Getting Parameters right in CRS tank

Chiquarius

Hello,

I have a 10-gallon tank that I set up for a combination of Neos and PRL/CRS shrimp (as well as some snails and cories).

I have a substrate with some Akadama and have been using a combo of Aqueon Shrimp Essentials and a Brightwell GH+. I had the tank around KH 3 and GH 6 and a 7.2 approx pH, which was right where I wanted it. I slept for a while but did a recent read. The pH is around 8.3 (way too high for CRS!) and the KH around 2 and GH up around 10. I’ve tried to slowly water it down with water changes and adding a little calcium carbonate to get KH up a little. Of course that should increase pH so I’ve dumped massive amounts of Alder cones in; the water is tea, but the pH is about the same.

The shrimp seem healthy and not dying but not molting/ breeding very fast right now and I’d hate dead shrimp surprises for ignoring the issue. Any ideas on how I can stabilize toward the parameters I’m seeking?

thanks!!

• Sad 1

You are either using too much GH+ and/or shrimp essentials, or probably more likely is that there is something in the tank releasing stuff! Could be both I guess?

Have you removed the cuttlebone? The normal culprit is rock! I expect your TDS has rocketed as well?

You could do more halm than good by just panicing and doing big changes so take it slowly, especially if no shrimps have die. The KH of 2 for instance was ok so you didn't need to do anything with that and that probably also added to thee TDS?

What is in your tank (everything)? What water do you use (I think rainwater?) and how do you prepare it? What is your regular maintenance/water change schedule? Anything else you add to the tank, plant fertilizer or snail food etc etc?

Lets start with the basics and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it before it becomes a big problem.

Simon

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks sTDI!

Oops, I meant to include the TDS. It’s high for CRS at 197. These CRS have acclimated to 160-180. So I think you are right, there’s now too much mineral per rain water. I could gradually top off with water, maybe tiny doses of shaved cuttle, and that should bring down the parameters/pH and hopefully maintain some KH for the neos (who seem to be breeding less than the CRS in this environment). 

I’m not too panicked, since they seem to all tolerate it well but don’t want to leave this way. I’ve added the CaCo3 slowly and read that it is low risk adding too many Alder cones, I should probably not just trust any online commentaries though. Can shrimp OD in tannins? 

I did recently add some flourish plant fert tabs. I’ve had good experience with these before but not since first keeping CRS, while I felt the flourish liquid was too dangerous for inverts; perhaps this had thrown the aquarium minerals a bit. If this is an issue, I’m open to suggestions for other plant fertilizing techniques.

As far as maintenance, I do a 10-20% slow water change about once every 1-2 months. I change My jumbo canister filter pads about every 5 mo. I do 1 squirt brightwell and 5ml shrimp essentials per 2 gallons of rain water.

I think I need to stop tinkering and realize I overmineralized the last one. Getting a little new water in there to lower TDS is my main priority.

thanks again.

• Like 1