my CRS shrimps keep dying

lebowskia

Hello  I have CRS shrimp tank and everyday 1 - 2 shrimp is dying I don't know why, my tds was high a bit but I'm getting lower tds slowy by change %15 every week now ( before add in tank put in water gh+ and make tds 140ppm) when I saw dead shrimp I think it's peace of shell on it, my tds is 260 ppm now, I will make it lower slowly. I did cycle my tank 2 week before add shrimps, I know it's very little, I didn't know. (sorry for my english btw)

my paremeters now:

tds: 260

temp: 24 degree

I don't know other paremeters but I'm going to buy ph meter, what else can I do? I'm trying everyting, I don't want to my shrimps die anymore, I have left 7 shrimps.

here is my shrimp photo after die:

1440941610_WhatsAppImage2020-08-22at04_15.17(1).thumb.jpeg.b833f00d7ed59baeaa1f9af963471d1a.jpeg17471090_WhatsAppImage2020-08-22at04_15_17.thumb.jpeg.45035f132bf8a35194c46ff4c1c2896a.jpeg

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear you only have 7 left. It may well end up they all die but at least then you can get everything sorted ready for a new batch. Be mentally preparing yorself for te fact that this batch probably will all die off but then you will have a chance to do it properly and don't feel too guilty as we all made mistakes at the start.

Your TDS is way too high still and you really need to get the GH, KH and PH test kits so that you can get more of an overall picture of the water. It may also be that the tank wasn't cycled?

When you change the water you should add the new water very slowly, usually the best method is to use a dripper of some kind! You can accelerate the rate of reducing the TDS by just using pure RO when you do the water change, but that could also prove too much for the shrimp if the new water is added too quickly and the shrimp may already be weakened from the time spent in the wrong water parameters.

Are  you still using RO filtered water using the filter that adds back minerals for drinking? I still think the zerowater jug would be your best bet as then you can still use the other RO water for drinking as well!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 2

If TDS & pH are the only parameters we have, then keep reducing TDS to about 160.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 10:20 AM, sdlTBfanUK said:

Sorry to hear you only have 7 left. It may well end up they all die but at least then you can get everything sorted ready for a new batch. Be mentally preparing yorself for te fact that this batch probably will all die off but then you will have a chance to do it properly and don't feel too guilty as we all made mistakes at the start.

Your TDS is way too high still and you really need to get the GH, KH and PH test kits so that you can get more of an overall picture of the water. It may also be that the tank wasn't cycled?

When you change the water you should add the new water very slowly, usually the best method is to use a dripper of some kind! You can accelerate the rate of reducing the TDS by just using pure RO when you do the water change, but that could also prove too much for the shrimp if the new water is added too quickly and the shrimp may already be weakened from the time spent in the wrong water parameters.

Are  you still using RO filtered water using the filter that adds back minerals for drinking? I still think the zerowater jug would be your best bet as then you can still use the other RO water for drinking as well!

Simon

I don't use anymore RO filtered water using the filter that adds back minerals, someone recomment me a spring water here that with right parameters, he said breeding with this water like years and I did waterchange 2 days ago with this water with gh+, my tds is 180 now, better than before I think? 2 shrimps died after waterchange, but now shrimps looks good, there is no death today, I'm really happy not dead any shrimp, I'm going to buy gh test this week, shrimps looks good and moving but there is peace of molt on head 2 shrimps, here is pics, but they are moving, its a big promblem? I hope they don't die,  Zerowater is expensive for me now, I think I will use this spring water for now untill use pure RO water.

938139636_WhatsAppImage2020-08-24at02_59_28.thumb.jpeg.6ec28a0d0dc52802f8470397a74ca059.jpeg 69015804_WhatsAppImage2020-08-24at02_59.28(1).thumb.jpeg.3d320875238c8d2f27173b38127cc1bf.jpeg

Edited by lebowskia
  • Like 1

Hopefully you are on the right road now and the spring water will work. The new water will usually make them molt. I can't see clearly enough the shell but they may just be eating it, which is normal.

Spring water usually has minerals in it so you will only find out if that is going to work by trial, I hope it works for you and the initial signs  are positive, so fingers crossed.

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

deaths was stop everythink was good and now start again,  I think I'm doing everything right but I don't why shrimps is dying, my gh : 5, tds: 157, temp: 23 - 24 C, I'm using Ro water now,  I have just mangrow, moss ball, moss, alder cone in my tank, I don't know what is wrong with my tank. I feed them every 3 - 4 days, and if there is left food I put out tank, so I don't think there is much ammonia, it's just shrimps and 3 ramshorn in tank. it's can be bacterial infection? but there is not look like something wrpng on them body.

here is my shrimp after death, look like tail is empty

698877668_WhatsAppImage2020-09-28at22_32_22.thumb.jpeg.9ef9be0ceeea64c7b67ce5bdfdc27ae3.jpeg

184913608_WhatsAppImage2020-09-28at22_32.22(1).thumb.jpeg.cbf702532a586596c36f27fe1267e652.jpeg

and here is my tank:

120268384_WhatsAppImage2020-09-25at22_24_33.jpeg.1b04fce356e1578c34658e9a564971a3.jpeg

Edited by lebowskia
  • Sad 1

In the second photo it looks like the shrimp was moulting. What's the calcium content in your water? The shrimp might've died because it couldn't get out of the shell (I don't know much about this, but I've heard about it happening before).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crabby said:

In the second photo it looks like the shrimp was moulting. What's the calcium content in your water? The shrimp might've died because it couldn't get out of the shell (I don't know much about this, but I've heard about it happening before).

I don't know calcium content, how can I know that?, with test kit? and how can I lowe calcium level?  yes when shrimps is die there is shell piece mostly

Edited by lebowskia
  • Sad 1

I think that there are calcium test kits. A KH test kit may also be of use. But I'm not sure - jayc or someone else will probably know much more than I do on this matter.

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

It does look like a moulting problem still! Where are you on water, from the above you started RO, then went to mineral water and now gone back to RO? Is this latest RO with the added minerals for drinking or a new one? Moulting problems are probably the most common cause of problems with shrimp.

You say you had no deaths for a while, did this tie in with one of these water type changes, ie have you only recently gone back to RO and that restarted the deaths?

Changing water (especially when with water with different parameters from the aquarium) encourages them to moult so messing with the water as you have been is likely to have been some of the problem.

What substrate are you using?

How many shrimps do you have left?

Calcium is included in the GH test (and magnesium) and that looks about right, though those 2 could be out of proportion. There is a test kit for just Calcium. As crabby says, it would be a good idea though to test KH, for caridina shrimp there should be little to none? 

Simon

3 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

It does look like a moulting problem still! Where are you on water, from the above you started RO, then went to mineral water and now gone back to RO? Is this latest RO with the added minerals for drinking or a new one? Moulting problems are probably the most common cause of problems with shrimp.

You say you had no deaths for a while, did this tie in with one of these water type changes, ie have you only recently gone back to RO and that restarted the deaths?

Changing water (especially when with water with different parameters from the aquarium) encourages them to moult so messing with the water as you have been is likely to have been some of the problem.

What substrate are you using?

How many shrimps do you have left?

Calcium is included in the GH test (and magnesium) and that looks about right, though those 2 could be out of proportion. There is a test kit for just Calcium. As crabby says, it would be a good idea though to test KH, for caridina shrimp there should be little to none? 

Simon

deadts was start like no reason, I wasn't change anything, just weekly same water change (%10 - 15), I'm using Ro water, not with minerals, deaths start before water type changes , I did chage water type 1 week ago, ,tds was 160 ppm when deaths start, and I think maybe  lower tds is will be better for shrimp and I get lower tds to 140 now, I know it's a lot but shrimps already dying and I have nothing left to do,  I have left 3 shrimps now, 3 shrinps look good for now, no any deaths for 1 days. I think I should get KH test. if this 3 shrimps die too I will give up I think..

I use Ista shrimp soil 5.5

Edited by lebowskia
  • Sad 1

I feel your frustration and it sounds similar to when I started with caridina shrimps when I wasn't using the right water and other bits etc.

You can't really do much more at this point unless you are prepared to put 100% into it and get ready to try again properly from the start. This would mean buying all the needed test kits you are missing, PH, KH and I would buy a zerowater jug (about 200TRY, GBP20 https://www.ubuy.com.tr/en/brand/zerowater?q=ZeroWater&brand=ZeroWater (link for reference)), this actually won't cost a lot and will give you a better starting point. There is also the nitrate/nitrite and ammonia tests? 

If you are happy to get that stuff then I would mentally prepare for starting again but carry on as is with the 3 shrimp you have left whilst you get the stuff ready. When you have the needed stuff above it will be decision time based on whether you have any shrimps left? If all the shrimps have died then change out all the water for zerowater mixed to tds 140(approx) with shrimp specific GH+. You should now be all set as the GH+ will make the ideal water parameters from RO equivalent water. If, when you get the stuff ready you have a shrimp or 2 left then take them out in a small bowl and when you have redone the water in the tank you can acclimate those shrimps to the new water but be warned they will probably be so weak by then they are unlikely to survive ANOTHER change. If you want too you could slowly change the water just using the zerowater from when you get it, but that will take a long time to adjust the water and the existing shrimp would probably still die anyway, so I would go the change all the water and start afresh route and you could probably get new shrimps in 2-4 weeks! My zerowater makes water with a PH of about 5.0 - 5.5 and with the low PH ammonia is replaced by ammonium which isn't as toxic as ammonia!

What GH+ are you using, is it a shrimp specific one?

Always slowly add new water to the aquarium when shrimps are in the aquarium (not necessary when first filling the tank), and drip acclimate shrimps to the aquarium water slowly using a dripper.

There is no 100% gaurantee even doing it this proper way will succeed but it should and if that doesn't work it makes more sense to then think of GIVING UP, but at least you have then given it a decent/proper try. It isn't going to cost that much as the test kits will last a long time and the zerowater filter should also though doing the initial change will use more than in normal weekly maintenance etc.

I understand how deflating it can be and the thinking of quitting, even I have given up with one tank for caridina shrimp and used it for nano fish instead................

Simon

PS, if you are unsure on anything please ask, I understand we may have a language difficulty so just ask for clarification!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I feel your frustration and it sounds similar to when I started with caridina shrimps when I wasn't using the right water and other bits etc.

You can't really do much more at this point unless you are prepared to put 100% into it and get ready to try again properly from the start. This would mean buying all the needed test kits you are missing, PH, KH and I would buy a zerowater jug (about 200TRY, GBP20 https://www.ubuy.com.tr/en/brand/zerowater?q=ZeroWater&brand=ZeroWater (link for reference)), this actually won't cost a lot and will give you a better starting point. There is also the nitrate/nitrite and ammonia tests? 

If you are happy to get that stuff then I would mentally prepare for starting again but carry on as is with the 3 shrimp you have left whilst you get the stuff ready. When you have the needed stuff above it will be decision time based on whether you have any shrimps left? If all the shrimps have died then change out all the water for zerowater mixed to tds 140(approx) with shrimp specific GH+. You should now be all set as the GH+ will make the ideal water parameters from RO equivalent water. If, when you get the stuff ready you have a shrimp or 2 left then take them out in a small bowl and when you have redone the water in the tank you can acclimate those shrimps to the new water but be warned they will probably be so weak by then they are unlikely to survive ANOTHER change. If you want too you could slowly change the water just using the zerowater from when you get it, but that will take a long time to adjust the water and the existing shrimp would probably still die anyway, so I would go the change all the water and start afresh route and you could probably get new shrimps in 2-4 weeks! My zerowater makes water with a PH of about 5.0 - 5.5 and with the low PH ammonia is replaced by ammonium which isn't as toxic as ammonia!

What GH+ are you using, is it a shrimp specific one?

Always slowly add new water to the aquarium when shrimps are in the aquarium (not necessary when first filling the tank), and drip acclimate shrimps to the aquarium water slowly using a dripper.

There is no 100% gaurantee even doing it this proper way will succeed but it should and if that doesn't work it makes more sense to then think of GIVING UP, but at least you have then given it a decent/proper try. It isn't going to cost that much as the test kits will last a long time and the zerowater filter should also though doing the initial change will use more than in normal weekly maintenance etc.

I understand how deflating it can be and the thinking of quitting, even I have given up with one tank for caridina shrimp and used it for nano fish instead................

Simon

PS, if you are unsure on anything please ask, I understand we may have a language difficulty so just ask for clarification!

thank you for helping,  I was using salty shrimp bee gh+ and you right, I have left  shrimp,  not now but after a while I will get test kits, and zerowater is seems good idea, I will get that, I just wonder how long does the filter last? and I will change all water. thank you very much ?

Edited by lebowskia
  • Like 1

The filter will do my water at 100-120 litres, but it really depends on how much stuff it has to remove from the water so the first one won't last all that long if you are changing 100% of the aquarium water but from then on itt is just how ever much you do on your regular water changes. I think though that your tank is quite small so I would just get the jug with its included filter which should do you long enough to work out if it has made the difference and if you are happy with its results then order more filters later on. You just test the water TDS until it gets to 006 and then the filter needs changing. I change mine at 003 to be safe as at that point the TDS goes up almost with every litre filtered so it is pretty much saturated/exhausted anyway, but last time that was after 108 litres. If you are using the water that has already been through your water filter at the tap the chances are it has a lot less to remove so may last a very long time?

As you say, think it over and see how it goes with the few shrimp you have left as you are already, there is no need to rush into anything as you have little to lose at the moment. The few shrimp you have left may continue to survive and you may just want to continue as you are now for a bit longer and once the tank is more settled you may be ok and hopefully you have at least one of each sex and they may then have babies? In the meantime you may want to try adding Indian Almond leaves as they are good for shrimp/biofilm, and add another visual aspect and shouldn't cost much?

Simon

On 10/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, sdlTBfanUK said:

The filter will do my water at 100-120 litres, but it really depends on how much stuff it has to remove from the water so the first one won't last all that long if you are changing 100% of the aquarium water but from then on itt is just how ever much you do on your regular water changes. I think though that your tank is quite small so I would just get the jug with its included filter which should do you long enough to work out if it has made the difference and if you are happy with its results then order more filters later on. You just test the water TDS until it gets to 006 and then the filter needs changing. I change mine at 003 to be safe as at that point the TDS goes up almost with every litre filtered so it is pretty much saturated/exhausted anyway, but last time that was after 108 litres. If you are using the water that has already been through your water filter at the tap the chances are it has a lot less to remove so may last a very long time?

As you say, think it over and see how it goes with the few shrimp you have left as you are already, there is no need to rush into anything as you have little to lose at the moment. The few shrimp you have left may continue to survive and you may just want to continue as you are now for a bit longer and once the tank is more settled you may be ok and hopefully you have at least one of each sex and they may then have babies? In the meantime you may want to try adding Indian Almond leaves as they are good for shrimp/biofilm, and add another visual aspect and shouldn't cost much?

Simon

that's good then, I have left 1 shrimp now, everyday 1 shrinp was die but thsih shrimp didn't die, a couple day, but I wil not rush this time, I will get test kits like Kh, and get zerowater,change all water, wait couple weeks. I will do everythin right I hope.

• Like 1

?

At this point it is probably best to start afresh (no rush) doing everything properly from the start, as you say! When I had the same problem with water mine had babies and I got very excited but of course the babies didn't live very long so that was a double whammy. You will at least be spared that by starting fresh at your leisure!

Simon