• Similar Content

• braga
      By braga
      Has any progress been made in figuring out how to keep riffle larvae alive?
      From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not entirely clear whether it's an issue of chemistry/hardness or food.
      This is a basic but important question, and I think it's easily answered by running a few experiments using water drawn from a creek where they naturally occur.

Is there anyone here that can help?
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • travellife
      By travellife
      My shrimp are regularly molting.  I've been leaving the casings in the tank for a couple of days before removing them.  Also, noticed the babies and some very small oblong-shaped creatures feeding on dead Wisteria leaves.  I've been removing the leaves after they're practically transparent from being fed on.  Is this a good procedure or should I immediately remove any leaf detritus and molts from such a small tank, roughly 1-1/2 gallons. 
      Would it be beneficial to the shrimp to add Wisteria leaves from my betta tank that have blue-green algae growing on them?  It seems to be like salad to them.

• jba6511
      By jba6511
      I have had 1 RCS in a 3.5 gallon that has been established for a few months for over a month without feeding. It shares the tank with a small nerite snail and some plants. The RCS has been doing well so I recently added another 3. I know it is a small amount but was not sure at what point I need to consider supplementing. I have some shrimp food and could always do zucchini as well. I want to add some additional RCS slowly until I get to 10 or so to get a colony going but want to make sure I am feeding properly.
    • roscoeb
      By roscoeb
      Hi
      I'm new to shrimp :-)
      I've just populated my 17 Litre (4.5 gallon) tanks with 12 Crystal Red Shrimp
      Water Parameters -
      PH 7.0
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 10
      GH 5
      KH 5
      Containing Driftwood, Weeping Moss and Peacock Moss
      I was wondering about he feeding regime. I have fed them blanched carrot today,and have ordered  Dennerle Shrimp King Protein after reading Product Reviews. I have generic shrimp food from local aquarium for the time being.
      What amount and how often to feed them is something I am not sure about.
      I'd appreciate any advice :-)
      Thanks
      Roscoeb
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Most are fine except for gum leaves, too oily. You should be able to find Oak and Maple locally. You can try Dandelions, Nasturtium. Shrimps particularly like the flowers.  Roses, Basil flowers, Bee Balm (Bergamot) flowers, Borage flowers, Echinacea flowers, Pot Marigold flowers, Chamomile flowers, Chrysanthemums flowers, Garlic flowers, Onion flowers, Oregano flowers, Pansy flowers and Violet flowers.   Yes. Stuff to avoid ... Primulas, Primroses, Polyanthus, Iris, Daffodils, Nghtshade, box wood, foxgloves, amaryllis, clematis, bryony, buttercups, begonia, columbine, lily of the valley, sweet pea, Brachycome, Nolana, Rudbeckia, periwinkle, oleander, dogbane, aconite.   I cover a lot of these in this post. https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5701-edible-flowers-for-shrimp/  
    • Subtlefly
      Update and pics soon!
    • Flynn002
      Yeah I think I’ll try without the breeder boxes and see if it works. if not, I can give breeder boxes a go afterwards. I’m no professional at sexing shrimp but I know that females are generally more colourful and have the saddle on their back. Is there any other way of seeing them? also, I think I will black out the sides and back of the tank a use a black substrate (fluval stratum). I will use blue cherry shrimp or another colour that’s bright. So it will easier to see the shrimplets. And so that they stand out even when they’re on the plants or moss.
    • Crabby
    • Crabby
      Are there any common native Australian plants that you know of, jayc, that shrimp especially like to eat the leaves of? Or any to steer clear of? I'm just thinking there might not be any sense in buying IAL if I can just as easily collect locally. Oh, and on the subject of local collecting, although it may be a bit out there - do you know which weeds and nettles are typically used as shrimp food? Is it just anything that humans can eat, and the same protocol as with leaves?  Cheers.