Breeding pure lines Nedocaridina for two colors.

Wisnerd

Hi, I'm a newbee in Neocaridina breeding. And I am Dutch, which may account for my terrible English. I will do my best, however.

I would like to cross Bloody May with Blue Dream and select against wild types en chocs. My intention is to maintain a population with reds and blues only. I understand that the genetics are complex ant the number of genes involved unknown.

It is said that both lines are derived form a chocolate lineage. Therefore, I expect that the wild type or chocolate fenotypes /genotypes in F1, F2 etc could be limited or even absent.

I cannot find any significant data on this on Internet, however. Is there anybody who can help me out on this by experience or literature?

Im not too sure what your question is but below are a couple of pctures of my red cherry 'gone' wild. This happened as I didn't cull, but happened with just the one colour but probably took a year or two of neglect on my part. I suspect you will get this sort of 'wild' shrimp a lot quicker when you start mixing colours?.

Keeping more than one colour together is unlikely to work for long, and I know that we have so many different colour variants that were produced from mixing originally but that probably started off as pot luck in a lot of cases, and took years of selective breeding to achieve (obviously many tanks will be needed) so you would have to be very dedicated and patient. Once you mix different colours there will be no way of discerning which will mate with which so it is pretty irreversable (aside from starting completely afresh) so be sure you want to go this route before you do it????

DSC00522a.thumb.jpg.08d015d4b5bd3a672b25175f6961ff8a.jpgDSC00513a.thumb.jpg.6e26545ee11d9720f656bdc40d93d957.jpg

If you do decide to give it a go I hope you will keep us updated as I would be most interested!

Simon

Thanks for your reply. Ok, to be clearer here some basic questions. 

- Are there pure lines of Bloody Mary and/or Blue dream that come true and don't need culling? 

- Has anybody hybridized both strains and what is the segregationpattern? I

- Is there (co)dominance of the colours?

This determines breeding strategies

For instance: in case of near-stable blue and not stable red  , but red being dominant, I would make backcrosses on the F1 with blue, selecting for red, followed after a few cycles by inbreeding of the red line combined with culling.