Snail out break

jacet

Hi All,

I have a snail out break in my tank that just had a batch of CRS shrimplets... How do i get rid of the snails is there any tips or tricks instead of the pull them out one by one...

i thought of a snail rid type of product but with having shrimplets this morning i think that rules out most things...

Just stop feeding for 2-3 days, crush a couple of snails each day for the shrimps to feed, and the majority of them will slowly disappear....usually a out break of snails means you're over feeding.

BB will the shrimplets feed on the crushed snails as well.... I lost so many CRS and CBS a month ago i just dont want to lose to many of the young.... I still want my dream of having a kick arse colony crawling over each other at feed time...

• 2 weeks later...

Can I double check if anyone has lost shrimp to snail rid? My bf gave me a heap of moss that ive kept separate and just found two babies in there. I had trouble getting them out so I dumped the water in the tank then noticed a couple of small snails in the old container (hoping none went in.....).

I personally wouldnt douse the tank with chemicals when there are new shrimplets in the tank.

I read somewhere on a DIY snail trap before.

Long story short, its basically a strawberry punnet container with small holes punched on the top.

Weigh that down with a stone and use algae wafers as bait. I've tried it and it works better than catching them individualy.

Hope that helps.

I'll post a pic later.

My favourite trick for catching snails is to cut a raw carrot length ways, put this in during the day or over night (overnight seems to work best), and the next morning the carrot will be swarming with snails. Carefully put a net under the carrot as you lift it out of the tank (some of the sneaker snails are prone to dropping off back into the tank), scrape off the snails 9I chuck in th e garden as fertilzer) and if the carrot still has plenty of meat left put it back in th etank for another snail feeding.

The bonus I find of using carrot is it lasts, the snails seem addicted to it, the shrimp dont mind a nibble and my BN's also have a chew on it. Win Win all round.

Crush the snail well and watch the shrimps go crazy eating them. It is a good source of live food without adding any disease in the tank. My shrimps can't get enough of them.

crushing is great but I wouldn't crush too many at once... Ever smelt a rotten snail? Can't be too good for the water either. I still crush snails but I don't crush more then they can chew.

I like the carrot idea, sounds good and the best thing I like about it is that it's simple!