I have a dilemma!! Opinions and help appreciated

wtusa1783

So I have a 15 gallon That is cycling for cherry shrimp. I just was at my lfs and saw an orange Sakura shrimp that was berried. I bought it and a male. I put them in a breeder net in my 29 gallon tank. This is only temporary. I have a 5 gallon betta tank that I could put them in. I don’t want them to get eaten tho. It’s a risk that I’m not wanting to necessarily take. So what if I  were to put it in my 15 gallon with my red shrimp? I would get some wild types no? I’m not breeding for profit but I would love to have a nice colony of fire red/painted fire red shrimp. My 2 options are risk it with the betta, and put them with my red cherry’s. I also have a 20 long but it has a peacock gudgeon, dwarf flag acara, and a bunch of tetras so that’s also a risk. I need HELP!!

• Like 1

whoops... i almost tried to link the other topic on this over here, until I realised you were the same person ?

So, yes, they will breed wild together. I wouldn't reccomend ruining a nice orange sakura line as well as good grade red cherries, although that's personal preference, and some people love neocaridina mischling tanks. They just don't last too long...

I would reccomend you do not put them in with the acara and gudgeon... that could get messy. 

Honestly, I would keep them in the breeder until the mother pops and the shrimplets are able to grow up in the breeder. As for the betta, it's your job to figure out the behaviour and nature of your betta. If it's a male who flares 24/7... probably don't. If it's a very nice, gentle female who has a heavily planted tank, yeah, give it a go with the male first and see. If you aren't sure, pick up some low grade red cherries (I prefer using these for this job over ghost shrimp, because they have colour) and see what your betta thinks of them. It can be cruel though, and I personally would not put shrimp and a betta together - although this is beause I have enough tanks to avoid that.

Maybe your betta could go in with the acara/gudgeon/tetra tank for the meantime, if you really don't want the shrimp to stay in a breeder for very long? Depends on how many tetras you have, and whether the addition of the betta would make the tank overstocked, as well as the behaviour and attitude of the betta. In that case, the orange sakura could go in the betta tank. It's understandable though that you may not want to do that, though.

Really, the best option is to set up a new little 5 gallon planted tank for the orange sakuras. There you can have a healthy colony, with continual pure lineage, and nobody will snack on the baby shrimplets. That would be what I would do. It all depends on whether you can set up another tank though, really. 

So I leave the thoughts of my brain for you to decipher and choose between. Feel free to ask some more questions. Good luck!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Crabby said:

whoops... i almost tried to link the other topic on this over here, until I realised you were the same person ?

So, yes, they will breed wild together. I wouldn't reccomend ruining a nice orange sakura line as well as good grade red cherries, although that's personal preference, and some people love neocaridina mischling tanks. They just don't last too long...

I would reccomend you do not put them in with the acara and gudgeon... that could get messy. 

Honestly, I would keep them in the breeder until the mother pops and the shrimplets are able to grow up in the breeder. As for the betta, it's your job to figure out the behaviour and nature of your betta. If it's a male who flares 24/7... probably don't. If it's a very nice, gentle female who has a heavily planted tank, yeah, give it a go with the male first and see. If you aren't sure, pick up some low grade red cherries (I prefer using these for this job over ghost shrimp, because they have colour) and see what your betta thinks of them. It can be cruel though, and I personally would not put shrimp and a betta together - although this is beause I have enough tanks to avoid that.

Maybe your betta could go in with the acara/gudgeon/tetra tank for the meantime, if you really don't want the shrimp to stay in a breeder for very long? Depends on how many tetras you have, and whether the addition of the betta would make the tank overstocked, as well as the behaviour and attitude of the betta. In that case, the orange sakura could go in the betta tank. It's understandable though that you may not want to do that, though.

Really, the best option is to set up a new little 5 gallon planted tank for the orange sakuras. There you can have a healthy colony, with continual pure lineage, and nobody will snack on the baby shrimplets. That would be what I would do. It all depends on whether you can set up another tank though, really. 

So I leave the thoughts of my brain for you to decipher and choose between. Feel free to ask some more questions. Good luck!

Thank you! I have a male betta and it’s a veil tail so it’s slower. I can’t really get low grade rcs unfortunately. I also don’t have space for another tank. How can I test that my betta is not very aggressive? I know some people said their bettas ate a whole colony and some people said they never messed with them. I saw someone say they floated the shrimp in a clear container for like 3 hours and the betta would loose interest bc they couldn’t get to them. They said even the most aggressive betta they had didn’t eat the shrimp. I’m thinking definitely wait till the babies hatch to move them. How long should it take? I’ve had the shrimp for 4 days now so if it was berried the day I got it how long? And when they hatch how long till they will be seen/big enough to move tanks? Would it be possible to set up a little 3 gallon cube for the orange Sakura? I feel that would be nice but I’m in high school and I just got another tank for my bday  and just redid another tank of mine. I really want to keep a healthy colony. I’m just trying to think of any scenarios that could work for me personally. I don’t want to risk it with the betta as it seems hit or miss and there is no way of knowing until it happens. Thanks again and sorry for all of the questions I just want the best for my little guys!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

I’m in high school and I just got another tank for my bday  and just redid another tank of mine. I really want to keep a healthy colony. I’m just trying to think of any scenarios that could work for me personally. Thanks again and sorry for all of the questions I just want the best for my little guys!

I totally get that, 100%. 

25 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

I have a male betta and it’s a veil tail so it’s slower. I can’t really get low grade rcs unfortunately. I also don’t have space for another tank. How can I test that my betta is not very aggressive? I know some people said their bettas ate a whole colony and some people said they never messed with them. I saw someone say they floated the shrimp in a clear container for like 3 hours and the betta would loose interest bc they couldn’t get to them. They said even the most aggressive betta they had didn’t eat the shrimp.

If you're okay with testing with shrimp, try ghost shrimp. You could alternatively gauge his reaction to other inhabitants with some snails (does he pick on them?), or even add in some temporary fish, like small tetras. Just a couple will do, to see how he reacts. If he shows no interest at all, that's when I would proceed cautiously with the male sakura. 

29 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

I’m thinking definitely wait till the babies hatch to move them. How long should it take? I’ve had the shrimp for 4 days now so if it was berried the day I got it how long? And when they hatch how long till they will be seen/big enough to move tanks?

Let's say an absolute max of a month before she pops, if you just got her the other day. Very likely 3 weeks or less though if we're being realistic. Then I would say another month, to a month and a half until the shrimplets are large enough. This is not from personal experience - although I've bred shrimp before, they're in a tank with endlers, and I haven't seen any past a week old, besides the originals. That's not to say they aren't surviving in the moss city I have in there though ? 

You can also check to see if you can see the eyes on the baby shrimp inside their eggs, that means you're only about a week away usually. It's pretty cool!

32 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

Would it be possible to set up a little 3 gallon cube for the orange Sakura?

Considering you're only starting with a pair of them, as long as you got a filter and a heater (if necessary in your climate) into the tank, and planted it out, that would make for a lovely little tank imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crabby said:

I totally get that, 100%. 

If you're okay with testing with shrimp, try ghost shrimp. You could alternatively gauge his reaction to other inhabitants with some snails (does he pick on them?), or even add in some temporary fish, like small tetras. Just a couple will do, to see how he reacts. If he shows no interest at all, that's when I would proceed cautiously with the male sakura. 

Let's say an absolute max of a month before she pops, if you just got her the other day. Very likely 3 weeks or less though if we're being realistic. Then I would say another month, to a month and a half until the shrimplets are large enough. This is not from personal experience - although I've bred shrimp before, they're in a tank with endlers, and I haven't seen any past a week old, besides the originals. That's not to say they aren't surviving in the moss city I have in there though ? 

You can also check to see if you can see the eyes on the baby shrimp inside their eggs, that means you're only about a week away usually. It's pretty cool!

Considering you're only starting with a pair of them, as long as you got a filter and a heater (if necessary in your climate) into the tank, and planted it out, that would make for a lovely little tank imo.

O that is an option too. Since I have a berried female I could test with the male. That kinda harsh and I don’t like the idea tbh. Ok so I’m leaning towards a 6 gallon cube. I just have to convince my parents. I live in the south so during the summer, I would say it would be 72-74 with no heater. In the winter prob like 68. Is that ok? I know they don’t mind the Lower temps. I actually have plants, substrate, rocks, and sponge filter so I could definitely get the tank, light, and air pump for like $50. I may or may not need a piece of wood bc I have one but idk if i like it. I have the $ and space for a nano tank but I hope my parents allow. Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

Definitely agree that would be the ideal option! 

As to convincing your parents... the 'I can breed these and make lots of money!!!' argument is always a good one ? 

I can direct you to a cheap light that is working brilliantly for me (from ebay) if you need.

16 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

I live in the south so during the summer, I would say it would be 72-74 with no heater. In the winter prob like 68.

Had to work my Aussie brain a little to figure out conversion. As long as it doesn't get below 65 (I think?) or above 78, you should be all good! Ngl a bit jealous, down here in Melbourne our summers are too hot without doing stuff constantly to lower the temperature, and the winter nights get to cool for me to go without a heater ?

Glad to help! Good luck!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Definitely agree that would be the ideal option! 

As to convincing your parents... the 'I can breed these and make lots of money!!!' argument is always a good one ? 

I can direct you to a cheap light that is working brilliantly for me (from ebay) if you need.

Had to work my Aussie brain a little to figure out conversion. As long as it doesn't get below 65 (I think?) or above 78, you should be all good! Ngl a bit jealous, down here in Melbourne our summers are too hot without doing stuff constantly to lower the temperature, and the winter nights get to cool for me to go without a heater ?

Glad to help! Good luck!

Thanks! What light?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wtusa1783 said:

Thanks! What light?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunsun-Brand-New-28cm-45cm-Aquarium-LED-Light/312638633872?hash=item48cab6f790:g:xlIAAOSw25VeMir8

There's a fair few people selling these on ebay, see who you can find for the cheapest to ship near you. Should fit on a 6 gallon cube, and can be succesfully suspended. Not sure how much lights go for in the US though, so just an option you can consider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wtusa1783 said:

So I have a 15 gallon That is cycling for cherry shrimp.

You said you have a 15 G cycling. If the plan is to use it for these Sakura shrimp, then it just means you have to cycle it as quickly as possible.

And since you already have other mature tanks, wash the filters in this 15G tank to seed it with beneficial bacteria from those other tanks.

That will cycle your new tank as fast as possible. You can shave weeks of the cycle time by adding the gunk from mature filters into this new tank.

• Like 1

I think the red cherry shrimp are going/in the 15 gallon???

I hae cherrry shrimp in with my betta, but they are red culls, so brown and virtually impossible to spot so the betta isn't interested but I had RED shrimp with my first betta and he went straight for them. It is too risky if you want nice bright shrimp and would recommend the 3-5 gallon alternative if you can persuade all involved????

How many times have we said 'Just one more tank' in this hobby!

Simon

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I think the red cherry shrimp are going/in the 15 gallon???

I hae cherrry shrimp in with my betta, but they are red culls, so brown and virtually impossible to spot so the betta isn't interested but I had RED shrimp with my first betta and he went straight for them. It is too risky if you want nice bright shrimp and would recommend the 3-5 gallon alternative if you can persuade all involved????

How many times have we said 'Just one more tank' in this hobby!

Simon

Too many!!

1 hour ago, jayc said:

You said you have a 15 G cycling. If the plan is to use it for these Sakura shrimp, then it just means you have to cycle it as quickly as possible.

And since you already have other mature tanks, wash the filters in this 15G tank to seed it with beneficial bacteria from those other tanks.

That will cycle your new tank as fast as possible. You can shave weeks of the cycle time by adding the gunk from mature filters into this new tank.

Yes I added seeded media and some mystery snails. Tank is probably cycled by now tbh. But that tank is for rcs

• Like 2