Genetics question

I have Red Wine Panda mixed with Blue bolt.  The babies turned out to be about half blue bolt and half BKK or Shadow Panda.  (Black and white stripes, but sometimes the white part is kind of blue).

What are the genetics that caused this?

If these babies mate, will I get any red shrimp again?  (I assume red is recessive, so yes?)

• Like 1

I can't actually answer the question, hopefully someone may be able, however, I started with red wine/ruby about 3 of each and blue bolt/steel again 3 of each and ended up with this mix (I never bought any with black in them);

1870498535_DSC00395-Edited.thumb.jpg.2039f043048c3048ead6d9140f313e0b.jpg1129623490_DSC00373-Edited.thumb.jpg.551caa015fa1220025a41575a9cc7ab1.jpg

I do think there are some peope who have soe idea but I thin it can go back many generations as to what their genes are so until you have many generations of one type breeding with the same type you won't get the stable/consistant colour and that is why breeders (experts) keep a single type in a tank to get that stability of pattern, but of course you can't know how far that goes back when you first purchase them?.

Personally though I loved the variety and never knowing what would come next,  to the point I had probably all the patterns/colours out there?

Hopefully someone will give you some guidance but I doubt it will be easy or quick to work it out, and mixing them in one tank will have made the situation more difficult I expect.

Just enjoy the ride, I know you will, you started with the same as I did coincidentally? You won't get any boring shrimps with what you have in the tank, unlike mixing neocaridinas.

Simon

Hey Beanbag,

have you read this thread?

Specifically the 2nd post on Mendel's law of inheritance.

• Like 1

yup, I read this thread before posting.  I figure there must be at least two traits that are passed on to make these patterns, but don't know what they are.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I might be wrong but I would put it down to the fact that the red is always the recessive trait. if the genetic pool is diluted it will be less likely to come through, you get black variants which often come with the blue shadow gene as those kind of go hand in hand when it comes to taiwan bee. so the offspring kind of reverted from red to black. with reds its best to try and keep that trait stable by limiting the gene pool

• Like 2