Having a scud problem, need a patriot missle

Healingeagle

4th post down starts the carbonated water discussion, no need to drain the tank

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/78015-how-do-you-get-rid-scuds-3.html

looks like you just turnoff all circulation then add a liter bottle ... maybe after doing a siphon of the bodies add a second bottle for a second round if necessary... do it during the say with light on so plans are using the co2 and not 0xy... wont bother the plants

just remember any live critters other then the scuds in there will  also suffocate

• Like 2

Getting easier and easier! Omg this is the best news ever. I was thinking how many cases of sparkling water I was going to need to buy to try to do all these tanks. 

Well I will log how my attempts go and try and find a ounces to gallons in tanks dosage for the carbonated water.

Thanks arctic your the boss!

• Like 1

Hey thanks for checking in. I've been not feeling well!? Nothing has been done yet, last weekend I was in bed sleeping, a bit worried that I might have the rona! 

• Sad 1

I did throw a bunch of nickle sized angel fish fry in the 3 tanks worst affected and like angelfish fry do they are radically reducing the numbers of scuds while also reducing the shrimp population to adults I want to try to save this colony. I'm hoping I can get the scud number low enough that I can transfer the shrimp without hitchhikers. I'm going to try. Angelfish are happy.

• Like 1

The fish may work so that you don't even need to transfer the shrimp out to another tank, just remove the angel fish after say a week of not seeing any scud in each tank. You will have probably also lost any baby shrimp but you can rebuild on that from the adult shrimp left as long as the angel fish don't get large enough to eat those as well? If you see any big scuds you should still try and get those out manually if you can as even the fish may not be interested in those if the fish are small?

I hope this works well for you. If you do transfer shrimp it is very unlikely the scuds would be on the shrimp, they are more likely to be caught in the net where they can be hard to spot if they are babies!

Simon

I have had Fish in most all these tanks. I never seem to be able to get rid of them They never go away Fish tank herpies. Worse than duckweed. I have a couple tanks were there may be none, 10g planted tank with 3 kuli loaches in it for 4 or 5 years, and a thin sand empty tank with Corys in it those tanks the fish I suspect might have possibly done it, I bet on the scuds, resilient basterds. I'm buying sparkling water today. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Healingeagle said:

Hey thanks for checking in. I've been not feeling well!? Nothing has been done yet, last weekend I was in bed sleeping, a bit worried that I might have the rona! 

Hope you feel better! Super keen to hear how the carbonated water approach works. Still need to find the hours I need to do a full tank tear down but planning on using carbonated water to treat the plants before they go back in. Hoping this manages to kill anything clinging to the plants.

Anyone know what scud eggs are like? Looking it up, they seem to carry the eggs similar to shrimp so there shouldn't be any clinging to any driftwood or anything right?

Also, I have some planaria in my tank as well (small that don't actually seem to bother the shrimp, not even the babies). Anyone know if there are eggs or anything that I need to worry about with them? Or should the full tear down and careful replacement of shrimp and plants take care of both?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EBC said:

Anyone know if there are eggs or anything that I need to worry about with them? Or should the full tear down and careful replacement of shrimp and plants take care of both?

Planaria eggs (or cocoon) are way too small to be seen. So a full tear down of the tank will definitely take care of them. 

Just be careful with re-using anything from the old tank. Hardscape items can be boiled. Plants need to be treated. I've always used the mild bleach treatment. 1part bleach to 19parts water, and soak for 5 minutes. Rinse carefully before putting it back into a tank.

I don't use bleach on anything porous like drift wood or sponge though. 

The empty tank can be washed in white vinegar, rinse clean and let dry in the sun before using the tank.

• Like 1

Planaria easy fix.  Panacur c Kills all worms and snails shrimp happily stay alive and unaffected.

Simple easy fix. The thing is it takes a couple of months for it to completely be safe for snails again.

Planaria will kill shrimp, they leave a toxic trail behind them that can paralyze the little shrimp allowing them to be worm food.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, Healingeagle said:

Planaria easy fix.  Panacur c Kills all worms and snails shrimp happily stay alive and unaffected.

Simple easy fix. The thing is it takes a couple of months for it to completely be safe for snails again.

Planaria will kill shrimp, they leave a toxic trail behind them that can paralyze the little shrimp allowing them to be worm food.

That's fascinating about how they kill shrimp. I had wondered given they seem too small generally to do anything to a shrimp, even a baby one. Will have to see how I go with the teardown. If it doesn't get rid of the planaria as well, I will have to treat it. Any recommendation on how to use Panacur C? From a quick google, it looks to be a tablet?

• Like 1

I used the attached link product for hydra and it worked well so it may be worth keeping an eye out for it in Australia, I can only see it in UK and USA from a quick look on internet today?

http://www.sl-aqua.com/en/conditioner/products_z1.html

It is super easy to use and safe for everything apart from some snails. I have not had Planaria so cannnot say how good it is with that, but it cleared up Hydra well!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a bit. Life overran me. Update on scuds. I tried the seltzer water, put 1 gallon into 40 gallon tank. It was not strong enough. The scuds looked like they were having a rave party, some very abnormal behavior. One spiraled up to the surface to float down to the bottom and do it again. I'm hoping with stronger application it will be successful.

• Like 2