My new partitioned shrimp tank

sajica

Ok so here's a journal for my new shrimp tank.

Overalll tank dimensions are as follows.

104mm x 355mm x 350mm (high)

Each partition is as follows

250mm x 335mm x 530mm (high)

Make sense so far?

So far I have 2 bags of UP Aqua Shrimp sand, divided among the 4 tanks.

So here are some of the pics so far.

IMG_1910_zps506a5b4d.jpg

Empty tank in position

IMG_1912_zps8cc7d407.jpg

Full with water

IMG_1913_zpsfd527c7d.jpg

Air distribution system so far. This is only a brief trial with the Schego. I may go back to my cheaper airpump.

So far I still need to buy another sponge filter and lighting. I'm considering going a 3ft UP Aqua LED unit for this tank and having the light support legs resting on the partitions. I also need to double check the measurements I gave to the boss as I swear I wrote 107 and not 104. What's done is done, but I'm sure I made it take up nearly the full space on the stand.

So far I've dosed each partition with some AZOO probiotic bacteria powder and acclimatised my Blue Tinge Chocolates and a CBS into one of the partitions.

Pics as things happen *hopefully*

If anyone has any questions about the products shout out :)

So tank inhabitants will *at the moment* be as follows

Left to right

Tank 1 CBS and Blue Tinge Cherrys

Tank 2 Caridina typus and Yellow Cherrys

Tank 3 Red Rilli Shrimp and Caridina longirostris *QLD Dawin Algae Shrimp*

Tank 4 Not sure yet... I have a few ideas of inhabitants which work around a few different crosses.

I still have a couple of 18" aquariums Im apprehensive to dismantle to the fact I have heavily pregnant shrimp and babies in them.

Currently my High Grade CRS share a tank with the Yellow Cherrys. So the Cherrys will be moved along. Pregnant females and babies will be left behind until they're ready to be moved. The average Yellows will stay in there and MAY become my Cherry Shrimp cull tank.

Plant wise atm it'll be a collection of mosses. I just have to start collecting more ;) I have enough Java Fern to throw in there too. I don't want anything high light or hard to keep, hence the LEDs

I have a couple of shrimp pyramids with java moss and some java moss soaking in peroxide atm to kill any bugs/ snails. So when they're gold. I'll throw up a pic :)

great tank sajica...Who built the tank for you?

Oliver at Aquotix :) I can't tell you how much it was as I'm yet to see the bill and I get staff price :p

nice tank saj! just wondering how you are going to cool it?

also i can drop some us fissidens into marcus for you if you want it, i believe hes ''always'' at aquotix :)

Steady on Brad, I'm only heading down to Aquotix today from Mandurah then back home....not always at Aquotix.....just 2-3 times a week ! Lol...

Nice little setup saj, cant wait to when its full of water and shrimp :encouragement:

nice tank saj! just wondering how you are going to cool it?

also i can drop some us fissidens into marcus for you if you want it' date=' i believe hes ''always'' at aquotix :)[/quote']

One of these days we'll slap a work shirt on him ;)

Cooling.... Well, having only kind of just gotten home, drinking my homebrew gingy beer, putting on the light unit (pics later) having looked at the temp. It's sitting at a nice 25 degrees.

It's pretty much at floor level, under an aircon vent :) I have ordered some cooling fans off ebay, which was the original plan for cooling and if needed I was going to install a cannister filter and chiller on one of the middle tanks and hope that it would have a slight effect on the adjacent tanks.

I'm thinking about getting some more CBS. I got given 2 or 3 and needed to get them out of the tank with CRS. Lets not jump to conclusions here... but I'm thinking of trying to get CBS to cross with C.zebra just for interests sake.

Unsure whether the CBS x C.Zebra would work ? Had tried 6+ months ago, without any personal success. Anyone having success ?

Chris, I have some CBS culls for you.

Sounds good Marcus... some people have a theory. I have a different one but would like to try it for shits and giggles. I would think a cross is bordering on nearly impossible.

So my light unit of choice is the UP Aqua 3' LED unit :)

IMG_1918_zps87a51a68.jpg

Due to the size of the tank I had to use a couple of glass strips to hold the unit on the tank. I also measured the inside diameter of the leg holder wrong.

Have some shrimp photos :)

IMG_1925_zps53fc0b98.jpgIMG_1927_zpsefbbc1d9.jpgIMG_1922_zps8e8da097.jpgIMG_1920_zpsdcfa633a.jpg

C.typus and Yellow Cherry

IMG_1919_zps77a3f849.jpg

QLD DAS

When I can be bothered getting the DSLR out and the shrimp settle in I'll get some photos.

For the record, 2 of these sponge filters come from already established tanks.

oooh looking sweet saj.. i likie :encouragement:

are you using up aqua shrimp sand..?

also light unit looks hella sleek.. wats the dept this led can handle.. is it good for larger tanks..?

Thanks honcho :)

Yep using UP Aqua Shrimp Sand. I'm not sure on the maximum depth it can handle. I'm running one on a 2ft deep tank. It seems ok but my Styrogyne in that tank is struggling

• 1 month later...

Sajica what is this? Looks like a tiger snow white shrimp. Is there flow going through each of the divisions or is each division a separate system? Would like to see some updates. =)

IMG_1927_zpsefbbc1d9.jpg

He's a cull a got from someone. It's like he's a snow white but kind of rilli. It's very much like he's also a CRS with black that didn't develop on the stripes..

Each partition is sealed from the next with independent filtration (air operated sponge filters) I'd try to get some pretty pics but it's not pretty atm. Theres moss floating around that are being looked after for people and dead moss that didn't enjoy a peroxide treatment.

I'm not 100% sure what I'll do for heating. I might just have a heater in the 2 center tanks and hope some heat transfers across. It's mainly for Cherrys who don't need heaters for winter. I'll cross that hurdle when I get there.