New to Shrimp and Plants

SonoranStorm

You don't need to use a protein skimmer but as you say it will help with filtering, aeration etc. They are usually only used with reef tanks I think?

I used to have mineral balls but they aren't available here any more and I don't know if they actually work or do much. If you have them already then use them but I wouldn't bother buying any if you haven't already got some! The Indian almond leaves are a definite yes as biofilm growns on them and they releases tannins into the tank which help shrimps stay healthy.

I use BacterAE as that is good for growing biofilm/bacteria if that is any help? Otherwise you probably have all you need really. Keep it as simple as possible, especially with Cherry shrimp as they are hardy to start with! 

Simon

You can't find mineral balls and i can't find BacterAE lol 
Country differences. 
Ill see what i can find in the realm of something similar. 
Thank you so much i appreciate you and everyone's help so much 

• Like 1

Update: 

ordered: BacterAE and almond leaves also added the skimmer in and they became way more active right away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonoranStorm said:

i can't find BacterAE lol 
Country differences.

Where are you located?

6 hours ago, SonoranStorm said:

Another question I was having. 
Cholla wood and stuff like  montmorillonite clay/ Mineral balls, or almond leaves? Is any of this stuff helpful? Should i consider it? Does it alter the water chem to a point where its more of hassle than its worth? 

You kinda have multiple answers for each of these items.

The simple answer is ... None of these are ESSENTIAL. They are nice to have items.

Cholla is like a shrimp cave + driftwood in one. 

Clay/ mineral balls are supposed to add minerals and absorb toxins. It doesn't really work as it is marketed. 

Indian Almond leaves are probably something I would buy personally. It acts to lower pH, by adding a small amount of tannins and humic acids to the water, but as it breaks down, it serves as food for the shrimp. So this one is actually ok to buy.

6 hours ago, SonoranStorm said:

Also i have a small protein skimmer i got as a gift from my LFS during a raffle. Would that help with aeration? (also wondering if it would act as filtration since it has a sponge :P) 

It certainly won't be skimming any proteins in a freshwater shrimp tank. It would certainly help a bit with aeration and filtration. But since it's not built for that job, it's going to be limited.

• Like 1

So another issue. Anyone know what these are? 

AFA81212-388F-4939-953A-9D821297EADC.jpeg

Those white worms?

Nematodes. These round worms probably hitched a ride in on plants, soil, or water from another tank.

Mostly harmless. Fish will eat them up.

• Like 2

As long as theyre not planeria i was worried