Berried Tangerine Tiger Moulted with Eggs?!!!

Crabby

Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 

I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 

Thanks in advance.

Crabby

Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.

Going off this video: 

Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Sad 1

Update: removed all eggs from moult, one might be hatching, and its incredible to see the eyes like this. I got some photos of varying quality, as I'm not sure how common this actually is. Marks Shrimp Tanks got better pics of his though. Might need to invest in a macro lens. But anyways, have them in a net over an airstone, all seperated with absolutely minimal moult left in there, if any. So exciting! Will update in the morning, see if the hatching one has hatched then. Woo! Fingers crossed for 100% survival! 19/19 eggs pleeeeeease!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the moult but it sounds like you are doing well with trying to save the eggs, good luck with it all!

The video is very interesting and has some good advice.  I've not seen this happen or tried it, but  that doesn't mean it hasn't happened of coarse!

This is a similar thing that happened,

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14285-a-shrimp-molted-got-eggs-and-died/

Good luck!

Simon

• Thanks 1

Lucky you caught it.

I bet stuff like that happens more often, but we don't notice. Especially if you have a crowded tank.

• Like 2

Yeah, I’m glad I put the berried ones in a breeder box. Definitely gonna keep doing that. I’ll share some photos of the egg-saving setup when I can. Found a way to get even more flow in the net, which is really good. I hope maybe some day if this happens to someone else, this thread can be of use. And it was worth the strained eyes and sore back to try to save the baby shrimpies.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Yeah, I’m glad I put the berried ones in a breeder box. Definitely gonna keep doing that

Definitely a good call using a breeding box.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So... 

it happened again. Either I have one very bad mother shrimp, or extremely bad luck. Hopefully the shrimplets survive this time. 

• Confused 1