Fuzz on crayfish

Wilbergz

I just did a water change few days ago and this morning I see some fuzz on my crayfish. Hes perfectly active likes to eat his indian leaf, pellets and chase fish around. Any input would be appreicated

20200530_115942.jpg

• Like 1

That is a fantastic photograph!

I can't actually see the fuzz you are asking about even with the high quality picture, where on the body are you seeing the fuzz?

Simon

I think I may just be able to see it and it 'looks like' a sort of fungus?

Try going through this post and see if you can identify it from that?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/

More details of the setup may also help, how long has it been running (I am guessing not too long as it is ultra clean gravel etc), how long have you had the crayfish, are their any other occupants in the tank, water source/parameters etc etc??

Simon

Doesn't seem its any of those. Had this tank going with fish for about almost 3 weeks? Its just one crayfish with about 24 tetras (different kinds) ph is 7.4 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 until this week  ammonia is .25. Did a 10% water change added bio enhancer stuff. He seems like hes still normal eating chasing everyone. He hasn't molted since I've had him or at least I havent noticed.

wx_camera_1590875124947.jpg

• Like 1

Sourced off reddit. 

Basically same thing, seen another post with similar conclusions as non harmful just collected some stuff. Probably bio enhancers

Screenshot_20200531-020729_Reddit.jpg

• Like 1

I have often got odd groups of fungus growing when setting up new tanks, though not seen it on any shrimp, usually wood or ornaments etc and that clears itself in time once the tank is properly cycled and settled down.

If he seems happy and active just keep a close eye on him and see how it progresses (hopefully disappears). Maybe the tank wasn't quite ready for him? I'm not quite sure how quickly/easy it is to cycle/establish when there are no plants, it may take longer as they are usually a part (speed up) of the process I would think, and if you have just got an ammonia reading this week? Keep testing Ammonia/nitrite and nitrate regulary at this point? If the ammonia gets too high it is normal to do a large water change, but that may trigger a molt so only do that if absolutely necessary. Don't overfeed the fish either (common mistake) as that may cause extra ammonia?

What water are you using, RO or Tap?

Simon

• Like 1