Fulvic Grains

BlueBolts

The PH buffering affect of my nano tank with shrimp soil stopped some months ago, and the PH was hoovering at approx. 7.1-7.3. Purchased a 30g packets of fulvic grains, and as a precaution, sprinkled it in over a 3 day period.....

PH now at 6.8, and after 2 months, maintaining this value. Tank is only a 26 lt. Extremely happy with this product to date, and keen to see its buffering capacity over the next 6-12 months.

Have also had shrimplets over the past 2-4 weeks, so great to know t doesn't effect them.

Thanks heaps for the feedback on it, will definitely be putting an order in for some.

• 4 months later...

hi BB,

good of you to review this product!

so.. a few months on hows the fulvic going? still buffering? did u end up using the whole packet? sorry for all the questions im jus really interested in this product :P

cheers mate

Hi shrimpstan, after 4+ months, the tank's PH is hoovering at 7. I've been gradually increasing my KH and GH Over the past 3-4 weeks, so it would perhaps reduce its buffering efficiency.

Purchased 3 packets 2 months ago for my breeding rack to drop my PH, by .3, and it's maintaining this perfectly. The fulvic grain is a great product to prolong the life of the substrate/tank.

So what size tank would a 30g packet do? :confused:

1g / 1 litre = minus PH 0.5 .... that's just for that particular tank....totally depends on the buffering going against the tank/substrate, etc....... purely trail & error ....

Ok, my new tanks are about 100-120L per tank & then the sump is about 350L, hmmmmmm? :dejection: I think I'll see how the soil goes then go from there :encouragement:

The packets of fulvic grain is really design to prolong the effectiveness of the benibachi soil...if you're trying to buffer an entire tank using say a neutral substrate, then it's going to be an expensive excercise...

I intend on getting Benibachi soil for the tanks but I'm just wondering if I should sprinkle some Fulvic grains through it to help keep the soil in good condition & prolong the buffing? :confused:

No need, the benibachi soil already has fulvic grains.... only need it once its buffering capacity has decreased - 18+ months ..

Very good to know dude, I hope it doesn't break the bank too badly filling the tanks with soil :dejection:

I've always been curious about Fulvic Grain. It's great to know I can use it once I've exhausted the Benibachi soil in my tank. Going to put it on my shopping list now :)

• 2 months later...

yep this is a great product, as I mentioned in another post my Benibachi soil stopped buffering just after a few months as I went overboard with the filtration vs tank size, well I was losing shrimp and shrimp were not colored up and not as active. I put in 2 bags of fulvic grains over few days and shrimp started coloring up (realised I had some shadow pandas which were just normal before LOL!) and a lot more active. So I highly recommend this product if you are not willing to replace the whole lot of your old soil with new.