Planaria?

Discusluv

I have a hard time recognizing if these are Planaria or something else. They are so small and even with bifocals Im half blind. To me they look rounded and white. Maybe you can take a look and help me distinguish them?

I did try treating the tank with Planaria Zero. This is when I doubted my own identification of them as Planaria. Seems like they are unaffected by my dosing tank.

Thank you!

https://vimeo.com/419677635

• Like 1

Hi Discusluv, welcome to SKFA.

Those look like rhabdocoela flatworms, not planaria. Planaria have an arrow shaped head.

Having said that, Planaria Zero should work on rhabdocoela as well. What dose did you use? Did you follow the instructions?

• Like 1

Thank you @jayc

I used the following dosage that I found online: Please use the following amount for 50 L of aquarium water. 0 to 24 hours: 2 spoons (1 g). 25-48 hours: 2 spoons (1 g). 49 to 72 hours: 1 spoon (0.5 g). 

The tank is a 5 gallon, so used spoon that came in bag to measure out appropriate dosage.

Im happy you were able to see a head to see if pinpointed or not- lol. Looks like a blob to me ?

Edited by Discusluv
  • Like 2

All I can see is what looks like a lot of seed shrimps???? Maybe I am looking at th wrong thing!

Simon 

• Like 1

Simon is right. When I first viewed the video, it was on a small galaxy tab. But upon seeing the video again on a larger screen, it is indeed Seed shrimp as Simon pointed out. 

Unfortunately, Planaria zero wont kill seed shrimp. And anything that does will also kill shrimp.

The only way is to siphon them out at every water change.

Or you get a small nano fish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jayc said:

Or you get a small nano fish.

Endlers can decimate a population of seed shrimp in a small tank, and are quite lovely fish that aren't hard to come by, and will be safe with shrimp. From my personal experience at least. 

• Like 2

I put fish, dwarf rasbora and a killie into my tank and they cleared the tank of seed shrimps within a day! Baby shrimp would also be at risk of being eaten by most fish as well of course.

Simon

• Like 1